Chapter 21: Finding a loophole

sfwe

Adam was pacing back and forth in the kitchen while I was sweeping up the wood chips that covered the tiles on the floor. There was a brief moment of silence between us. Both of us didn't know what to say to each other. I was stuck between blaming Adam and apologizing for Damon's behavior. While putting the blame on someone else sounded so easy, I knew deep down this was all my fault. Damon wouldn't have such a hold on me if I turned his deal down.

"Why did you do it Eliza?" Adam was the first to speak.

"I didn't want you to be stuck in a coma any longer." I looked up at him, tears swelling up in my eyes. "He promised me a deal that I would not regret. He tricked me!"

"Why would you be so stupid as to make a deal with a fucking demon?" Adam chastised as he held the dust pan for me.

"I couldn't stand being alone anymore. I just wanted you to wake up." My vision was starting to get blurry as I swept the wood chips in the dust pan.

"You shouldn't have done it." Adam snapped.

"Well the good thing is that I get to keep my soul." I tried keeping things a little positive but all Adam did was glare at me. "I'm so sorry Adam, I just wanted what little family I had back."

I sobbed as tears began to stream out of my eyes. Adam scooped me up and held me in a tight embrace. Everything that I held in for so long finally came pouring out. He kept a tight grip around me and allowed me to cry for as long as I needed. Then, the doorbell started to ring. I pulled away from Adam and looked at him with watery eyes. He placed his pointer finger over his lips and headed to the door silently. If only he had a bat or something to take with him, just in case.

"Sarah, now's really not a good time-" I heard Adam's voice and immediately jumped.

"Please understand, I'm trying to help!" Sarah's voice got louder as she entered the kitchen.

It shocked me to see Sarah wearing only a white nightgown that had dirt stains all over it. There were even dirt stains on her bare knees. Her beautiful red hair had become a mess and had twigs in it. I raised an eyebrow and scanned my friend over to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

"What happened to you?" I asked as I wrapped my arms around her. She was ice cold and she smelt like a wet forest.

"I did something horrible tonight, Eliza." She whispered as she wrapped her cold arms around me.

"Sarah what did you do?" Adam asked as he wrapped a green thin fleece blanket around her.

He pulled out a wooden chair for her to sit in. She plopped herself down on the chair and looked up at me with water in her eyes. Adam and I shared a look of concern before turning back to her. She was unusually pale and to be honest she looked exhausted.

"Eliza, I am so sorry." She cried.

"Why are you sorry?" I asked, confused.

Adam began reaching up in the cabinets gathering a few things to make Sarah a cup of hot coffee.

"Everything is my fault. Your problems are all cause of me." She wiped her tears away with the heel of her palms.

The moment she said that, my heart dropped down into my stomach. She couldn't be talking about Damon. I never even said a word to her about my "problem" so I was confused as to what she meant. Damon was the only problem I had and he was one big fucking problem.

Adam placed a white coffee mug in front of Sarah and seated himself beside her. I seated myself across the table and kept my eyes on Sarah. Nothing she was saying was making any sense. So let's say she was talking about Damon. That would have made it my fault. I was the one who that made the deal with the demonic Prince, not Sarah. I was the one that sold myself to him and it was my decision, not hers.