[Nine]

My fingers were still intertwined with Scott when we were joined with the three remaining alphas. My eyes instantly found Aiden's and I let my face hold no emotions. I was doing this for one reason, and one reason only. I was protecting my family, and if giving myself and my gift over to Deucalion meant that they would remain safe, I was doing this. 

"I still can't believe you managed to get the fae. What a turn of events." Kali said with a sneer, I quickly blasted her with my light sending her back flying.

"You're a powerful one aren't you." Deucalion said running a hand down my cheek, I straightened my back. 

"You have no idea." I said with a smile. I shifted uncomfortably when he took my hand from Scott and pulled me into him, I felt his claws along my neck.

"I don't like sassy little things. I like quite little things that will obey." I nodded my head, "good girl." 

The next night we were standing in the woods, my heels were discarded hours ago and I was barefoot, standing next to Deucalion, Scott on his other side. I saw Deucalion looking forward towards a firefly.

"It's a firefly." Scott said simply.

"Unusual for this region."

"Fireflies don't glow, here." I whispered.

"It's because of Jennifer, isn't it? Just before all this started, a deer crashed into Lydia's car. The cats went crazy at the animal clinic. Birds flew into the high school. That was all her."

"They say animals can sense natural disasters when they're about to happen. Maybe they can sense supernatural ones as well."

"Does she scare you?"

"She concerns me if she's willing to kill that many innocent people for her cause, people like your mother and Stiles' father."

"Are you willing to kill innocent people?" I questioned the man.

"I'll kill any living thing that gets in my way. They found Marin, let's go." we walked beside Deucalion, Scott's hand attached to mine, we found the rest of the Alphas surrounding Ms. Morrell who was surrounded by a circle of mountain ash, "how did you know, Marin, that we'd come for you?"

"Because Jennifer and I are the same. And I know you've always been suspicious of us, of what we can do."

"With good reason. We know you send that girl... the one who helped Isaac."

"What was her name?"

"Braeden. And I sent her to do what I've always done... maintain balance."

"What do you know about Jennifer?" Kali asked the girl.

"Nothing more than you know. Bliss and Scott, this isn't you. Go back to your friends."

"They can decide what's right for themselves."

"Not without all the information. Have you told them everything you've done? How you've piled up bodies in a narcissistically psychotic effort to form your perfect pack? Bodies that include Ennis, by the way. My brother saved him." the alphas turned to look at Deucalion, "my brother saved him. He was alive when Deucalion went in to see him. He wants you to go after Derek, Kali, to force his decision. If Derek joins the pack, it paves the way for Scott."

"The lies people will tell when they're begging for their life."

"Ask him." Deucalion threw his walking stick at Ms. Morrell causing the line of mountain ash to falter, Scott and I ran over to her. The alphas growled loudly, I produced a ball of light in my hand.