~ Chapter 1 ~

2 weeks later

"Eyre! Let's go out and have some girl time!" Harper cheers over the phone. Eyre's exasperated sigh is heard on the other line. The redhead could just see Eyre face palming or rubbing the bridge of her nose at the moment, but it doesn't bother Harper.

Recently, Eyre has begun to major Theoretical and Mathematical Physics.

The main reason why?

String Theory.

She would spend hours and hours doing research of it until she's passed out, and our heroine's best friend would find her the next day, in her room, drooling over a few books. Eyre has thousands of papers and sticky notes stuck everywhere to the point where it's covering the billboard of pictures and selfies the two took.

To Harper, it kinda felt like a slap in the face to see her cover the billboard...

But at any rate, she's completely forgotten her dream of saving people, 'giving them a second chance in life' as she puts it.

Becoming a surgeon.

"Harper, I don't have the time. Sorry." She says over the phone and Harper's smile drops.

"When was the last time you ate?"

"I don't know? Half a week ago?" She says, almost as if she's just raised her hand to ask for a pencil in elementary school.

"Half a week?! Eyre, there's a small cafe near your apartment. It's a block away and I'll pay."

Oh yes. Now here's the part where you, the reader, is caught up to date with what's happened.

A week ago, as soon as Eyre touched her mansion, she cut her ties with the Vesper family. Harper's parents generously bought her an apartment room and continues to financially support Eyre up till now.

"No, seriously Harper. I'm hitting the shooting range for a bit." Harper purses her lips, brows furrowing.

She does that quite a bit too... Harper ponders to herself. 

"Why?"

"Dunno. It's comforting."

"Shooting a gun is comforting?"

"Yeah."

Harper sighs, "Eyre, you sound like a psychopath. I'm picking you up. If you don't come, I'm cutting your allowance." The redhead jokes and Eyre huffs into the receiver.

"What are you? My mom?"

"At the moment, yes."

~*~

"Harper, I have no idea why you're making me go out.." Eyre complains, looking at the small menu.

Harper takes a quick glance at Eyre.

The poor shut in has eye bags already. Eyre's also cut her own hair, though it isn't at all terrible. Her once long locks now end about chest length, and the ends are still slightly curled. No matter what she does, it's always the least bit curly unless she gets her hair straightened by a professional, which, she had back at the mansion. Eyre looks paler. Nobody would notice it unless they haven't exactly seen her for over a month. The ring that she had taken from the hospital is not on her left hand, but on her right.

Harper can't help but take notice of the misplaces ring.

    It looked so important to her... So why...?