Diary Entry #1

2014.12.31:

Happy New Year's Eve!

Yes, it's the last day of the year and I decided to write in this diary, which has been lying in my shelves for who knows how long. I think I got this diary for my tenth birthday. That was... six years ago. Next year, that six will be an seven.

Why have I decided to write a diary entry after six years?

Well, you see, yesterday, Mom was telling me about new year revolutions and things like that and I somehow stumbled across this book. A new hobby for the new year, I guess. Or simply a place to rant about my life. More about that probably in future entries?

The fireworks are noisy and I'm getting distracted. It's even louder when you're on the rooftop, writing a diary entry.

Give me a moment to admire this beautiful coloured skies.

.

.

.

.

I'm back. It was a colourful night, thanks to the fireworks. But also pretty noisy, at that.

The night softened and turned into a silent ghost town after the fireworks show. It is peaceful, and I like it.

I'm always a fan of the peacefulness. It soothes the mind and calms down my inner thoughts and doubts. I wish there were more nights like these.

I've stayed up for quite a long time, honestly speaking, but I don't feel like going to sleep anytime soon. I'd rather stay up and write into this diary, even if my eyes are slowly getting heavier by the second.

School's starting in ten days and I don't feel excited one bit. Okay, maybe a small part of me is excited for going into senior year of Namdong High School, but the normal reaction is ughhhhh. I just want to graduate out of high school as quickly as possible. 

.

.

.

.

Diary, you have no idea what just happened. It was two hours ago or so (I don't know the exact time because I think I was half awake at that time) and that was when a guy wished for his death wish on New Year's morning. 

I woke up in a daze when I heard the rustle of metal items that were placed on the rooftop like an outdoor storage for it. I looked around and found a guy staring at me with a smile as he titled his head, staring at me with googly eyes. He was sitting right across to where I slept last night.

"What are you staring at?" I asked him, rubbing my eyes and looking around. The sun was slowly rising, colouring the skies with orange.

He didn't respond but just continued to smile.

I ignored him in return, gathering my hair together and tying it into a low and messy ponytail.

"What's your name?" he asked as I was about to leave the rooftop and get back into my apartment. 

"Do I need to answer that?" I asked skeptically.

"My name's Jeon Wonwoo. What's yours?" He was really annoying, if you'd ask me.

I didn't reply to him and just twisted the door knob.

"I'll see you again soon, arasso?" he said, making it sound like a promise.

Truth is, that kid made the hair on my arms rise. But the next thing he said, I bet he just wished for his death.

"You're pretty," he said.

I turned around for that and asked him, "Do you have a death wish?!"

"Huh?" He was really confused.

"Never mind." I just wanted to kill him for saying that I'm pretty. I didn't like compliments because they always sound like a lie escaping from someone's mouth. "I'm going, weird kid."

"My name's Wonwoo," he said again.

"Whatever, weird kid," I said, pushing the steel door open and leaving the rooftop.

It was a weird way to start off the new year morning.

Love,
Hani.

~Author's Notes~

It's my first time doing a diary entry story and I hope it'll turn out well :))

Stay with me 'til the end in this story kekeke see you in the next chapter :))

xoxo 

Byun Sang Kyung