six

Harry tries his best to stay away from Aurora for as long as he can. He manages an entire four days before he caves, two days after he'd run out of drugs.

Aurora's quite surprised to see him and she questions him briefly before they return to their normal routine. However, this time she surprised him. For the first time in years, she gave him a blowjob.

He's entirely perplexed with her behavior, but he holds his tongue until they're finished.

"Okay, now that we're done, what's wrong with you?"

Aurora looks puzzled, as far as she knows, she's the same as ever. "Nothing?"

Harry shakes his head and smooths out his shirt. "Don't give me that crap. You never do half of the stuff that you just did. Why start now? Was it something Carter said?"

She shrugs and tries to play it nonchalantly, even though it had everything to do with what Carter said. "Maybe I wanted to. You don't know what goes on in my head."

Harry stares at her for a moment longer, trying to pick apart what's actually going on here. Wanted to sounds like a far stretch for Aurora because, if she wanted to, she would have done all of that stuff long before now.

"You're right, I can't. But, usually, everything's meant to result in your benefit and not once has it been to please me."

Aurora sighs, frustrated that he couldn't just leave it alone and accept her actions. "Yeah, I asked Carter, okay? Doesn't matter how tough someone is, it hurts when they're told that they're unsatisfying and that their sex partner thinks of someone else when they fuck."

All of this he already knows. "I know that, Aurora. That was the point. You've been nothing short of terrible to me since we met. I don't know if you know this, but I don't exactly enjoy it."

Aurora drops her eyes and lights a cigarette in an attempt to avoid letting him know that he's right. "I was just trying to change things so you wouldn't go. I know you don't find any pleasure in this at all, I just don't want you to leave like everyone else."

Harry sighs because she's staring to make him feel bad. "But why do you care all of the sudden? You've had all this time to 'change things' and not once have you ever tried."

She's back to angry in a split second and a perfectly good lamp gets ruined because she decides to throw it across the room. "Damn it, Harry! Because I have fucking feelings for you! Stop playing games with me when you already know the God damn answer!"

Harry exhales and counts to five so he won't yell back at her. He doesn't like losing his temper and he doesn't want to make things already worse than they are. "Aurora, there's usually a million things wrong with you. I can't know everything because I'm not God. I'm sorry, but whatever feelings that you have won't be returned. At this point, you've run into a dead end with my affections. You've got a boyfriend anyway."

Aurora scoffs and rolls her eyes at the last comment. "We both know that I don't love him. Hell he knows that I cheat on him too."

Harry sighs and sits on the edge of the bed. He's decided to drop the hard act he puts on with her and be his genuine self around her fort the first time in years. "Why do you do this to yourself? What happened to you that was so terrible that you destroy yourself and the relationships that people try to build with you?"

She doesn't say anything and she won't look at him either, her eyes remaining focused on the city behind the thick glass. He knows that he isn't going to tell her, but he wants to try because he does think that there's a good person under all of the crap that she shrouds herself in.