fourteen

Harry kisses Carter's shoulder, "That's horrible, and you're right to be upset about it, but you're not right in turning yourself away from everyone because of that. Loneliness is a disease too you know. But...how can you learn from making mistakes if you lock yourself away from everything? Like is about learning, not being stagnant."

Carter sighs and pulls his arms off of her before she stands and starts searching for her clothes. "If I want to be stagnant, I can be stagnant. Love doesn't mean life and life doesn't mean love."

He watches her with a sad expression, "But you're lonely and unhappy."

Carter pulls her shirt over her head. "Stop. You're not a psychiatrist and I don't need to hear it."

Harry stands and starts to dress himself as well, "No, but I know you."

She turns around abruptly and pushes his chest hard, "You don't know me like you think you do. Just stop. Fucking stop it, okay?"

He grabs her hands as she moves to shove him again. "Carter. Stop. Don't be angry with me for trying to talk to you instead of just sleeping with you and letting you leave, or vice versa."

Carter finds him too calm for her liking and his actions only make her angrier because he doesn't have the right to do that to her.

She yanks her hands away, "Don't touch me! I don't want to talk to you. I want you to leave me alone."

Harry sighs as she storms down the stairs, "Carter!"

She doesn't answer and he tries again. "Carter!"

He rushes down after her, nearly tripping over his own feet because he's still pulling his pants up and because of how fast he's descending. "Carter!"

Harry watches her through the door and flinches as it slams shut behind her. Nevertheless, he follows her anyway. She's so bipolar all of the sudden and he doesn't want her to leave like that.

Carter slams his front gate and jogs across the street. She came over to yell at him and to tell him goodbye because she's leaving in a few days and she's done with their little affair, not because she wanted him to convince her to open up.

Who the hell is he to tell her to open up? He doesn't know her, no matter what he thinks, and she can do whatever the hell she wants to, regardless of what he thinks. And now he's calling her and chasing after her like she'll actually come back.

Carter scoffs and shakes her head as she continues walking at a fast pace. She hears him open the gate and starts to run because she really doesn't want to talk to him anymore. He pissed her off and she wants to cut all ties to him anyway because things have gone too far between them.

She's managed to run about a block or two before his hand catches her wrist and he pulls her to a stop. Their bodies collide and she pulls back on her wrists even though it's no use.

"Let me go, damn it!"

Harry releases his grip on her wrists and her hands fall to her sides as she huffs in annoyance. "What? What is it now? Why can't you just let me leave?"

Carter glares into those stupid, pretty green eyes of his and crosses her arms under her chest as she waits for his answer.

He sighs and runs a hand through his hair. "Please just talk to me. What's so wrong that you had to storm out like that?"

She snaps, "You! God, don't act like you don't know what you're doing! I came over to yell at you for taking down the walls that I guard myself with and to tell you goodbye and, damn it, you just pulled me down again."