twenty seven

"Carter!?" Harry calls up the stairs as he glances at his watch for the second time in five minutes.

They're going out to dinner to celebrate Carter making it into the final three and she's taking a century, which she never ever does.

Carter looks at herself in the mirror and frowns. She doesn't look like she wanted to and now she's questioning her choice of clothing. Another moment of staring at herself in the mirror passes before she realizes that it doesn't matter how she looks because it's Harry and he always tells her that she's beautiful, even without all of the makeup that she wears.

She slips on her flats and calls down the stairs, "Be right there!"

Harry's already grinning before he can see her, "Well, hello gorgeous."

Carter blushes and avoids meeting his eyes for a moment. She has a bit of a habit of being shy whenever someone compliments her, especially when it's Harry that's complimenting her.

The moment that she reaches him at the end of the stairs, he pulls her in close and presses a kiss to her cheek. She regrets ever telling him not to smother him with affection because his affection is dazzling and far more precious than the finest gold.

"Ready to go?"

She smooths out his dress shirt and places her hands on his chest, his heartbeat thrumming against her fingertips.

"Hmm, I think I will be after another kiss."

Harry laughs lightly and playfully rolls his eyes before he answers rather dramatically, "Well, I guess just one more kiss won't hurt."

His lips gently caress hers despite her bright red lipstick and his hands lift to caress her cheeks, "I love you."

Carter smiles as he rests his forehead against hers, his minty breath fanning her face as he exhales. "I love you too."

The entire ten-minute drive to the restaurant is filled with dumb jokes and horrible singing. Carter loves every single minute of it. She finally feels like herself again: she finally feels alive.

She hasn't been to a nice restaurant in forever and she's excited from the moment they step out of the car and into the artificial light that cascades down from street lamps and sophisticated strings of Christmas lights.

Harry loops his arm through hers with a wide grin, "Excited?"

Carter nods happily as her eyes drink in her surroundings. "Yes! This is so nice! Are you sure that this is okay? I don't want to take all of your money, since you insist on paying."

The hand on her waist pinches her side and she squirms and lets out a surprised squeal as he responds, "Stop worrying about that. This was my idea and I have more than enough. We're going to celebrate and we're going to do it like proper adults."

A loud laugh falls from her lips as he pulls the first door open for her, "Okay, so nice food and bad sex. Not really a great combination, but if you insist..."

Harry lets his hand 'slip' to her backside and gives her bottom a firm squeeze that makes her blush furiously. His lips are near her ear all too quickly and he speaks lowly and deliberately, "Oh no, we're going to have the hottest and roughest sex ever when we get back. If you're lucky, you might even get a taste before we leave."

If she wasn't bright red before, she certainly is now.

"Do you have a reservation?"

Harry grins from ear to ear because he knows that he's already managed to make Carter frustrated. "Yes, it should be under Styles. Harry Styles."