Chapter Four

"Hey look who's alive." Renesmee smirked at Edward as he groggily walked into the living room where the rest of us Cullens sat talking happily with my beautiful daughter Renesmee.

"Way to stoop to trickery again Ren." He scoffed and sat next her on the couch. He had been asleep for a solid seven hours.

"I didn't trick you! Me? Trick someone as smart as you? Sounds impossible!" She spoke over dramatically and he rolled his eyes.

"Don't you roll your eyes at me Masen." She snapped and he froze instantly.

"How did you know I rolled my eyes?" He asked.

"Because my view swirls all the sudden. Duh." She laughed her joyous little bell like laugh and we all couldn't help but laugh too.

She's wonderful Edward! I just wish we could've been there when they were little... Esme smiled at me and my dead heart sunk deeper in my chest at the pain I caused so many people.

"How are you feeling now Masen?" Carlisle leaned forward in his chair.

"Better I think. I feel like I got hit by a train though." He started laughing and everyone joined in as well. His dark laugh was so much like mine.

He could be my duplicate we are so much alike physically. Same copper bronze hair, my green human eyes, my exact face frame, tall, lean, and hidden muscle.

But he's so different from me at the same time. He's so caring for Bella and Renesmee, never leaves their side even though Renesmee says he wants to travel more than anything, she says that he's the most thoughtful person ever and I agree completely. He forgave me so easily. He has so much compassion and understanding.

As Renesmee started telling a story about one of her and her brothers adventures Edward started to remember last nights fight with his mother...

"Mom?" He called walking into the dark house. Charlie's old house I noticed.

His attention snapped to the open back door and the thick smoke that could be seen in the air. He rushed outside to see Bella being licked by huge flames with a tank of gasoline in her hands.

"Mom! What are you doing!?" He yelled and stormed over to her.

"Stop! Edward I can't live with this! I can't do this! Just let me die! You have the Cullens now! You and your sister have never needed me anyway!" She screamed and dosed herself in gasoline spilling a lot on him in the process.

The fire engulfed them both, Edward jumped back and managed to get himself out quickly. He rushed to the water hose and turned it on full blast and shot Bella with it. He got her put out and then put out the flames altogether.

"Why would you do that!" She screamed and you could tell she wasn't herself "You couldn't just give me this one thing?!" She screeched and lunged toward him.

She scratched his face and left three long gashes so blood gushed and caked his skin. She grabbed a fist full of hair when he grabbed her waist trying to lift her up. As he was walking back into the house and pulling her along she slammed his head into the door post so hard it broke the door frame. He got disoriented and fell down and she kicked him in the face busting his lip and breaking his nose.

He cried out in pain but forced himself to get up. He wrapped his arms around Bella tightly, restraining her arms, and slung her upside down onto his shoulders. He ran up the stairs and threw her onto her bed.

"Stop!" He yelled and she gave up.

"Why couldn't you just let me die?" She cried out as he threw together a bag for himself and Renesmee.

"Mom, calm down. I'll see you Monday." He spoke sweetly but at the same time I knew he felt pain and emotional exhaustion.

He ran back to the Cullen house quickly and quietly. He tried to get inside without attracting attention but of course as soon as the door shut behind him Alice was there.

"Oh my god! Your hurt!" She cried and Carlisle rushed in quickly.

"Really, I'm fine." He tried to back away but Esme appeared at the top of the stairs and came down quickly.

"What happened!" She cried and tried to look at him closely.

"I just got into a little...spat...with my mother." He tried to brush it off but he was really in a lot of pain.

"Your nose is broken and you have a concussion. How are you even still conscious?" Carlisle questioned.

"I'm fine, I think I need to go back up to Renesmee now." He tried to walk past Esme but she gripped his shoulders tightly.

"Your grandfather needs to fix your nose." She declared and he knew he was not getting out of her sight.

He followed Carlisle upstairs to his study while Esme took his bag to the guest room.

"What happened Edward?" Carlisle asked examining his nose.

"Nothing really. Mom was just upset and I just pushed a nerve." He answered.

"Hold still." Carlisle smiled grimly and twisted his nose back into place quickly and Edward sucked in a deep breath. The pain was very brief though.

I came in with a wet washcloth and got to work helping Carlisle with all the blood and cuts he had. I remember it felt very familiar to be working with Carlisle in a medical manner.
Edward got very quiet and that's when I learned exactly what happened with Edward and Bella. We got him cleaned and Carlisle urged him not to fall asleep for at least another eight hours. Edward went to go sit in Renesmees room and we had a family meeting to discuss what happened. That's when Jasper went to go make sure she didn't hurt herself further.

"It was so embarrassing! The whole Volturi staring at Edward and I like we were a science experiment!" Renesmee laughed "Then again, I'm sure we could be compared to one." She laughed again.

"Oh yeah, I remember that." Edward spoke half heartedly.

"What's wrong?" She asked suddenly aware of his change of heart.

"Ive just been thinking Renesmee. Don't worry about me." He smiled our shared crooked smile and she did not look convinced.

"Renesmee? Could I ask your opinion on something that may be a sensitive topic?" Carlisle asked her and I smiled at what he was thinking.

"Of course." Renesmee nodded taking on a very mature presence.

"I've noticed that your eye is completely in tact. If your eyesight could be repaired, would that be something you would be interested in doing?" He asked and tears swelled up in her eyes.

"Of course. Id do anything." She smiled and ducked her head as tears rolled down her cheeks "But it's just not reasonable, my eyes are too damaged." She shook the thought out of her head.

"I've been thinking. You still have every part of your eye in tact. If I were to take a small amount of your original venom source it should be able to repair your eyesight." He smiled at her.

"Wait. Are you saying-"she stopped to swallow back tears "that you think you can fix me?" She cried and he nodded.

"That's amazing Ren, you should try. It's very minimal risk." Edward squeezed her hand.

"If you would allow me to try?" Carlisle questioned smiling at her.

"Yes! Thank you!" She cried and latched onto his neck.

"We could get started now if you'd like?" He asked and she nodded her head ecstatically.