Chapter Fourteen

The cold, dark corridors of the Volturi castle echoed the clicking of a woman's high heel shoe as she walked briskly towards the thrown room.

"Ah! Bianca! What news do you bring?" Aro stood in greeting, she hurried to hand him the letter for him that had just arrived.

"It seems as if Bella knows of our involvement in her children's unfortunate illnesses." Aro sighed.

"Well that letter I sent should have been clear enough." Marcus spoke absentmindedly.

"You did what?!" Aro roared in anger.

"I sent her a letter. Telling her of our acts."

"Well, that is what you just said! But why would you do that brother?" Aro asked.

"Because I'm tired of you always speaking of recruiting Bella and her twins and then never doing anything about it." Marcus huffed.

"So you go behind my back?" Aro yelled.

"Enough." Cauis stepped in, "Brothers, do not fight. What Marcus has done is a good thing. This is truly a unique opportunity for us."

"How?" Aro asked, intrigued now that he was no longer angry.

"Bella has defied us for so long for one simple reason. Her family. Now, since we know the Cullens are on alert-"

"Nothing sparks arguments like tension!" Aro cheered. "Marcus you are a genius!"

"I know." Marcus drawled and meandered off to walk about the castle.

He walked calmly throughout the castle and stopped just outside a large iron gate leading outside.

He took a deep breath, unlocked the gate, and stepped outside.

The grounds were dead.

Marcus sighed deeply, the sight of the once flourishing gardens, now long dead, was more painful to him then he expected.

It had been so long since he had felt any real emotion, and it was so much harder being here then he expected it to be.

"Didyme, I'm so sorry, I've let your garden go to ruin my dear." Marcus spoke into the oblivion.

Something about seeing his beloved deceased wife's garden, a place that made her so happy and peaceful, broke that last shred of loyalty he had for the Volturi.

As he felt himself coming to his senses, he also felt something he hadn't expected.

Intense sadness.

He broke down, sobbing hysterically, gripping at the dead shrubbery around him. His last hold on a piece of his Didyme.

"What have I done?" He cried. "I've condemned the Cullens to this same sadness my love. What shall I do?!?" He called out to his long deceased bride, and sobbed even more for the terrible act he committed against the Cullen coven.

As he sobbed, a ray of sunlight glinted off of something right in front of him. He reached down, picking it up carefully, and instantly realized what it was.

"Marcus!" Didyme called in her high, deliciously happy voice.

"Coming my love!" Marcus answered, laughing as he entered the gardens.

His raven haired beauty was no where to be found though, and he soon became worried something was the matter with his normally happy little wife.

Happiness was her specialty after all.

After just a few weeks of marriage, Marcus already knew his wife like the back of his hand. Didyme, the younger sister of his friend and fellow leader Aro, was his soulmate. She was gifted with the ability to make those around her incredibly happy, which made her incredibly happy as well.

While she made many people happy, she was also a heartbreaker. People got addicted to her happiness and often thought they were falling in love with her instead of the feelings she emitted. She was beautiful, black hair that fell down her shoulders in waves, porcelain skin, ruby colored irises, a straight button nose, and full dark pink colored lips. She was as beautiful as she was happy.

"Come and find me dear!" Didyme laughed, causing Marcus to pause for a moment in complete awe.

Her laugh was as gorgeous as she was.

It was high, but not so high that it became annoying. It filled you with a bubbly feeling and was always infectious. So pure and perfect and instantly addictive.

Marcus quickly swept through the gardens and finally found his dear Didyme hiding behind a pillar. He wouldn't have found her if he wasn't so attuned to her scent, she smelled just like her prized orchids.

"Found you!" He laughed, bringing her tightly into his arms.

"Marcus!" She cried in excitement, laughing as he spun her around in a quick circle.

"What was it that you called me here for my dear?" He asked, setting her back on her feet after a few quick kisses.

"This." She smiled, holding up a tiny thimble.

"Um..." Marcus scrambled to try to come up with something to say to his endearing little wife, who was known for her unusual antics.

"Just listen." She laughed. "I found it while gardening, just sitting in the flower bed at the base of my orchids. How did it get there?" She asked.

"I have no explanation my dear." Marcus smiled softly at her.

"Exactly! It came from nowhere! Out of the blue! Completely unexpected! And you know what?" She smirked, giggling softly at whatever she was about to say. "It reminded me of you." She smiled.

"Me?" He questioned her lightly, wanting her to go on.

"Yes, I was just a girl, happy and not knowing what I missing, until I met you. I thought I was complete, but I wasn't without you. Just like this thimble, you came out of nowhere and surprised me." She looked at Marcus dreamily and kissed him softly.

"I love you." Marcus mumbled as they pulled apart briefly.

"And I will always love you, my thimble." She giggled, which sent them both into fits of laughter.

Marcus found himself smiling as he looked down at that long forgotten thimble. He could have sworn it was tucked away in a truck filled with some of Didymes other things, she loved it dearly, but here it was. Nestled in her flowerbeds, it's original and true home. It seemed only fitting to him that it end up here, in the place she loved the most.

He also realized how, just like before with Didyme, it showed up out of nowhere and surprised him. Except he was surprised differently then Didyme. While she saw Marcus in its symbol, he saw her. He saw how she would have been compassionate to Bella and the Cullens. She would've celebrated their happiness and he was sure the Cullens would have adored her. She'd probably even end up convincing Marcus to leave with her and join them, or live similarly.

They would have been so happy.

Suddenly, before Marcus even knew what he was doing, he found himself leaving the castle quickly and boarding a private plane to the Americas.

"Where would you like to go, sir?" The pilot asked him in Italian.

"Forks, Washington."