Chapter Fifteen

Renesmee POV

My brother stumbled a little on the last few steps down the stairs. I instantly grabbed his shoulders and steadied him carefully.

"Thanks Ren." He chuckled a little, eyes still clouded from pain.

"Are you sure that you're well enough to be up from bed?" I asked again, pushing some of his wild bronze hair back into place.

"I'm fine." He grumbled, tired of everyone worrying about him.

That's the thing about my brother, he's always worrying about his family, so when it's our turn to worry and fuss over him, he can't stand it.

"Oh! I'm so glad you're okay!" Grandma cheered and wrapped Edward up into a hug.

"I'm fine grandma." He sighed, but wrapped his arms tightly around our grandmother anyway and I could see a little of his resolve breaking away.

"Come, if you're going to be so stubborn as to not lie down you're at least going to sit comfortably." Grandma fussed and made him sit on the love seat.

"It's okay to let others worry about you, you know that right?" I asked, sitting next to him.

"Yeah, I'm just not use to it." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "It feels so strange, not having to look after you, not having to make sure mom is okay, everything's so different now."

"In a good way though!" I smiled brightly at him and he happily returned it. "It's a good thing that you don't have to look after me all the time anymore! I can see again Edward! You have a sister again, not a patient! And mom's happy again, or at least she's getting there. We have our family, finally." I smiled and he wrapped his arms around me tightly.

Suddenly someone knocked at the door and grandma fluttered to go get it, confused at who it could be. I heard the door open, and then she screamed.

Edward shot up and ran to her, throwing himself in front of our grandmother.

A man stood tall in the doorway, he was young but somehow looked old at the same time with his papery skin and lifeless eyes. I had no idea who he was, until my brother addressed him.

"Marcus?" Edward questioned, all hostility gone. "What are you doing here?"

"I've come to help, and apologize, I fear I've started something horrible." He spoke in monotone, just as dull and lifeless as his eyes.

"Come in." Grandma ushered him inside and we all went into the living room.

"Where is the rest of your coven?" Marcus asked, looking around apprehensively.

"Most are out hunting, some are having a private conversation. We've all been on alert since this morning when we received your letter." Grandma answered, her eyes darting towards my brother and I every so often, concern clear on her face.

"I'm so sorry, but I was the one to send the letter. Aro has been making plans for so very long, and I've become so very tired of this existence, I was only thinking of myself." Marcus sighed.

"What do you mean?" I asked, taking the seat beside him on the couch. "Why are you tired of living?"

"Dear child, my mate was taken from me a long time ago." He sighed and my heart hurt for him. "I've been empty since then, and I've finally broken away from my bond with the Volturi, I no longer wish to exist."

"That's terrible, I'm so sorry." I sobbed lightly.

He looked at me with a deep, confused expression "You're sorry?"

"Of course, no one should ever have to feel that way." I smiled softly.

"But I've just set the course for a battle between your family and the Volturi, just because, in my selfishness, I want to be a casualty of war. And you're sorry that I want to die?" He asked, still deeply confused.

"Yes." I nodded, trying to get him to understand.

"I'm so sorry, I've started something so terrible and I fear that it can not be stopped." Marcus apologized.

"It's okay, we're Cullen's, we can get through this." Grandma smiled triumphantly.

"I forgive you, I can't imagine losing a member of my family, the sorrow must be incredible." Edward nodded at Marcus.

"I forgive you too, the death of a mate can not be easy, and I can see the pain you carry." I smiled softly at him, taking his hand and showing him my memory of seeing him in the doorway, and allowing him to hear my thoughts as I had taken notice of his appearance.

"That truly is a wonderful gift." Marcus nodded.

"Renesmee, why don't you take Marcus outside to talk? I can hear everyone coming back. We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt." Grandma smiled at me.

I stood and walked out to the front porch and took a seat in the large porch swing and had Marcus sit with me.

"What was she like?" I asked, carefully.

"Who?" Marcus asked, suddenly very interested in the woods surrounding the property.

"Your wife."

"Didyme?" He questioned.

"Oh! That's such a lovely name, and yes, what was she like?" I asked.

"Happy, always very happy. Her gift gave her the ability to make anyone around her feel happiness, much like your uncle Jasper, except only with happiness. And she was so beautiful, even in vampire standards she was considered one of the most gorgeous women in the species."

"She sounds lovely." I smiled.

"She was." He sighed.

I could hear everyone arguing inside and it made my heart sink in my chest. Marcus had made a mistake, but everyone does, and I'm confident my family can get through this.

"This is what Aro wanted, you know." Marcus spoke.

"What?" I questioned.

"The arguments. He wanted to spark tension in your clan, he wanted to put pressure on your mother, this is what he wanted." Marcus sighed and the door was thrown open suddenly.

My mother went bounding down the porch steps, walking at a fast pace, and my father was right on her heels.

"Bella!" He called, desperately.

"Bella!" He barked, finally catching her hand and pulling her to a stop. "You can't do this! Just stop and think for a minuet!"

"Oh, you mean like you did when you left me?!" Mom screamed.

"Think about Renesmee and Edward. Remember them? Our children? You can't just leave them, can you?" Daddy searched her eyes.

"I'm not leaving them, I'm protecting them. Big difference." Mom sneered.

"That's the same thing I thought when I left you." Daddy's eyes looked sad yet...resigned?

"Edward, you can't stop me. I'm going. Say goodbye to the twins for me, tell them how much I love them." Mom sighed, kissed daddy's cheek quickly and shot off into the woods.

Daddy sighed and turned back towards the house, where he saw Marcus and I sitting, he was previously too occupied to notice, and I could see the sadness on in face and he walked towards us.

"Marcus." Daddy greeted, holding his hand out to shake hands.

"Edward." Marcus greeted in response, shaking his hand quickly.

"I'm sorry sweetheart." Daddy sighed and I got up quickly and threw my arms around him.

"It's okay, we'll get her back." I cooed, squeezing him tight.