[ 4 ] 1963

[ 4 ] 1963

-

"Do you see the way she's crying? I think the last thing she needs right now is an interrogation."

-

The police arrived on the scene three days after the murders took place in the upper class neighborhood in Sydney. By insistence from his wife Anne-Sophie, Con had called them to let them know Ashton was missing, and hadn't been heard from in days. Con already knew exactly what had happened to the Irwin family, but he had to comply to Anne-Sophie's request so as not to seem suspicious. The police went to Con's house first, where they interviewed Anne, who later made a formal missing persons report with them. 

Anne was worried because Ashton had forgotten his wallet at her house when he went to have dinner with her, just three days prior. For those three days, she had called his house to return his wallet with no luck. No one was answering the phone and the French heiress was worried something was wrong.

Since it was known that Ashton was married by law to Claire Feeney, the daughter of a rich man who lived on the same street, the police went to her next. Claire pretended she was not aware Ashton was missing and she was very convincing.

She explained to the police that she hadn't seen Ashton in three days, when they got into an argument at Iggy's Diner. She told them that Ashton took her back home and she didn't hear from him again. And since she was mad at him for choosing his friends over her, she hadn't thought to call him until she thought he was ready to apologize.

The last place the police went after questioning a few more people (Joy, Lucas, and Hayley) was Ashton's house. 

When they arrived at the gated property, they found that the gates were unlocked and there was no sign of forced entry. That meant they hadn't locked the gates yet, which hinted they were waiting for someone from the family to arrive. They also thought it meant that the family was fine and just spending  a lot of time inside their house.

The two police officers who were on the scene saw various sets of footprints on the dirt road that led to the house and called in for back up when they thought it as suspicious. They wanted to be prepared in case there was still someone there. The team arrived a half our later and they made their way up the path to the front door. 

Like the front gates, the front door was unlocked.

And when they entered the house, they saw it had been entirely ransacked. There were things littering the marble floors, furniture was moved like a tornado had gone through the place, and there were shards of broken glass. But what was more terrifying about the whole scene were the trails of crimson blood all over the floor. Trails of blood all over. It looked like images from a horror movie set. From there it was evident that they weren't just dealing with a missing person, but more likely a homicide. 

While the rest of the team searched the entire house, the leader of the group went to the kitchen area to find a phone. 

It was looking like they had one of the most gruesome murders of Sydney in their hands.

-

The police searched the entire house, from top to bottom, several times and came up with nothing. All they found were blood stains of the victims; two adults, two children, and one teenager. The killer had left no evidence that they were even there. They had been very careful to hide any evidence. 

What also puzzled the authorities was that the bodies were nowhere to be found.

It was like they had disappeared into thin air. But they knew better. The killer had hidden the bodies and made it their personal game to have the police try to find them.