[ 44 ] 2014

[ 44 ] 2014

-

"I didn't say that, your friend is just jealous of me because we're together."

-

She followed the fearful muttering coming from down the hall as the crew that was clearing away the floor boards found something truly gruesome. Her feet tiptoed across the cold wooden floor of the hallway and she passed the staircase on the way to her room. She heard voices in the kitchen, her mother's along with someone else's. It wasn't her father--Aaron--as he had gone off to work that morning just like Billy had gone to school. 

Harley didn't bother to check out who it was. That was the least of her problems then, especially when there was finally the very thing she had been searching for. A cadaver that had belonged to a boy she cared about, a boy whose life had been ended unjustly by his best friend and the woman he loved. Betrayed. 

Now his spirit lingered in the place where his life had ended.

She made it to her bedroom and peeked past the door, seeing the crew of about six construction workers gathered in a circle. They were all petrified, staring at the human remains they found. None of them knew what to do. 

Harley now walked into the room, her footsteps catching the attention of the workers. Her blue eyes curiously tried to peek over their shoulders to see what they had found, but of course she knew it already. She tried to get even closer, but one of the workers shot his arm out in front of her to keep her from walking any further. "We can't let you go any further." The man told her, quickly explaining, "We found something that appears to be human remains and we have to call the police before we can continue working in this room."

He led her back out to the hallway while Harley didn't even complain, and one of the other workers in the room got his cellphone out to call in the authorities. 

She was sure that after following all the proper procedures, she would be able to organize a proper funeral to put his soul to rest. That was all she wanted for him, so that he could move on and be where he needs to be.

Harley heaved a sigh and walked down the stairs to the ground floor.

Now's as good a time as any to have breakfast, she thought to herself as she ran a hand through her jet black dyed hair with a sigh. 

She was still in her sleeping clothes--a pair of shorts and Calum's football jersey--when she turned the corner and was met by her mother and someone familiar at the table. A young man with dark hair and equally dark eyes to match. She had seen him in Perth, when she went to stay with her grandparents for a few weeks, but most recently during that rescue mission in which she and Dempsey were trapped in a chemistry teacher's basement.

It was James Brady, her brother's real best friend. Harley didn't count Luke Hemmings.

"Look who's here, Harley!" Harleen announced happily like a proud mother. "Remember James? You, him and Billy used to be best friends in primary school. But then you stopped hanging out with them because you had a big crush on James-"