Chapter ten

September 10, 1972

Sirius, Remus, and Peter looked at James for a moment in shock as they entered the boys' dormitory. Had they heard him correctly? James cocked his head to one side when his friends had not shown more enthusiasm about his decision to try out for Chaser on the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

"Have you gone mental?" Remus asked, sitting on his bed.

The other three stayed standing.

"What? I love flying," James said.

Since they were now in their second year, they could now able to try out to be on the House team. One of the Chasers had now left Hogwarts, and the Gryffindor Quidditch team needed a replacement.

"Yeah, but trying out for the Gryffindor Quidditch team?" Peter asked.

"Well, I think it's a brilliant idea," Sirius said, walked up to James and placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Thanks, Sirius," James replied with a big smile on his face.

"Just don't expect me to try out with you," Sirius added as he walked over to his bed and began to undo his trainers.

Laughing, James responded, "Got it."

After getting out of their school robes, James and Sirius went back down to the common room to play some Wizard Chess.

"You're going to be brilliant, James," Sirius said as Lily happened to walk by.

"Brilliant at what?" she asked.

"I'm trying out for Chaser tomorrow," James replied.

Lily blinked, and then said. "Good luck tomorrow, James."

And she leaned in and kissed his cheek.

"Did that just happen?" James asked as he touched the place Lily had kissed him as she walked away.

"I think it did," Sirius said, shocked as well.

Marry walked up to Lily and asked, "Why did you do that?"

"Why not?" Lily responded with a giggle.

It wasn't that long ago kissing a boy had seemed gross to Lily, and James would have wiped his cheek, so why had things seemed to change?

xxx

September 11, 1972

Sirius was not paying attention as he ran through the corridor so he could see James try out that he ran into someone. By the sound of the scream, it was a girl.

"Sorry," Sirius apologized, helping pick up the books.

"It's all right," the girl said. She flushed some as Sirius placed the books in her hands. "Thank you."

"So, um… where are you heading?" Sirius asked as he cleared his throat.

He then noted her school robes. It declared her a Ravenclaw.

"I was actually on my way back to the Ravenclaw common room. How about you?" the girl wondered.

"I'm on my way to the Quidditch pitch to watch my mate tryout to be on the Gryffindor House team," Sirius told her.

"I can't wait to see the first match," the girl said excitedly.

"Me either," Sirius replied.

It shocked him that a girl, who clearly was into reading, could be interested in a game like Quidditch.

"Well, perhaps I might see you later," the girl said with a look to the ground.

"I'm Sirius by the way," he replied as the girl turned.