Chapter seventeen

October 19, 1974

Remus shook his head as James once again told him the plan he had come up with so they would be able to be with him while he was a werewolf.

"I know I've said this to you before, James, but this time I really do think you have gone mental," Sirius said.

James gave him a hurt look as he sat on his bed.

"It will never work," Peter told him.

"As good of a plan it is, James, I agree with Sirius and Peter," Remus said. "It takes years to become an Animagus."

James figured that if they were animals, Remus in his werewolf form would not harm them.

"And besides, how do you know how Remus will react to three animals after he has transformed?" Sirius asked.

"Exactly," Peter added.

James had already thought about this and had an answer to give.

"That's an easy enough test," he replied.

Remus huffed and turned to the window in shock. Was James seriously suggesting putting three animals in the Shirking Shack with him as a werewolf?

"I don't believe you," Remus said.

"Okay, I will if all of us go for it," Peter replied.

James looked over at Peter in shock.

"Maybe…" Sirius began.

Remus's eye grew and turned to Sirius and gasped, "Sirius!"

"Only if… and I mean a big if, that experiment with the animals proves we won't be in any danger if we by some chance even succeed in becoming Animagi," he said.

xxx

October 20, 1974

James found himself in a unfamiliar house when someone screamed, "James!"

He went running into the bedroom where he found a familiar redhead.

"Are you all right, Lily?" James asked.

"I'm fine," Lily told him, hands on her expanding stomach.

"Then why did you yell my name for?" James asked. "I thought there was something wrong with the baby."

Lily looked down at her stomach and smiled.

"The baby just kicked," she said.

James shot up in bed, unable to make a noise. Why on Earth would he be dreaming of a pregnant Lily? He was fifteen for Merlin's sake. And besides, Lily wanted nothing to do with him. Right?

"What's the matter, James?" Sirius asked as he sat up in bed.

"No… nothing," he said.

"Bad dream?" Sirius asked.

"Sort of," James said.

xxx

October 21, 1974

James had not been acting like himself. He was really letting the dream get to him.

"James has been acting very strange today," Remus noticed at breakfast after James left the group.

"Yes, he has," Peter agreed.

James had hardly talk in the morning while getting ready for the day.

"It might have something to do with his dream last night," Sirius said.

"Dream?" Remus asked.

"Yeah, he woke up abruptly that I didn't know what to think," Sirius said.