Chapter fourteen

October 22, 1973

James had been acting differently ever since he and Fern broke up, especially around Lily, although he always did seem to be more pompous, if that were possible, when he was around her.

"Come with us to Hogsmeade, Lily. You know you want to," James said after class.

Lily laughed and responded, "Even if I wanted to, I would still say no."

"And why's that?" James asked.

Sirius, Remus, and Peter rolled their eyes. They knew how James got around Lily, and they did not want to be apart of it.

"I already made plans with Severus," Lily explained. "You should've asked sooner rather than wait until the last minute."

"So, you admit then you would've said yes?" James asked, now walking to keep up with Lily.

Lily could not help but smile inside. She loved how she made James hang on her every word.

"I suppose you'll never know," Lily said with a smile.

James stopped in shock as he watched Lily go on.

"Tough luck, mate," Sirius said as James rejoined the group.

"Oh, shut it," James replied.

Lily made James feel different, but he could not describe it.

xxx

It was now dark, and everyone was back in the dormitories after spending the day in Hogsmeade. In the third year boys' dormitory, James had come up with a plan to see Lily.

"James, you really have gone mental," Remus said after hearing the idea.

"What? It's a brilliant plan," he replied.

"It's one that will get you caught," Peter said as he got in bed.

James crossed his arms as Remus, too, got in his bed.

"You three don't have to come," he replied, turning towards his bed.

"Believe me, I'm out," Remus said.

"Me too, James. It's just dangerous," Peter replied with a yawn.

James turned back to face Sirius, who was still in his day clothes, which gave James hope that he might join him.

"Sirius?" he asked.

"Oh, all right," he said, sounding like he had actually given it some thought.

James ran to Sirius and surprisingly hugged him.

"Thanks," he said.

Sirius took a deep breath after James let him go.

"But only because if I have to save your bloody arse," he replied, though he had a hint of a smile on his face.

"I'll take that as a complement," James said, head raised high.

James and Sirius did not say a word to each other as they walked through the common room and out the portrait.

"If we get caught…" Sirius began as they tip-toed their way through the empty corridors.

"I thought you liked danger," James replied with a laugh.

"I do," Sirius said defensively, "but this isn't dangerous. It's mental!"

James quickly covered Sirius's mouth when he heard a noise. "Shhh!"

They made their way out the entrance as fast as they could after that.

"All right now. How exactly are you planning on getting up to one of the tallest towers in Hogwarts?" Sirius asked.