Chapter twenty

March 15, 1976

All the fifth years were walking into the Great Hall, which had been modified for their O.W.L.s.

"Are you ready for the exam?" Remus asked.

They were taking their Defense Against the Dark Arts O.W.L.s today.

"You may be," Peter said.

Professor Flitwick was conducting the exam they found out as he entered the Great Hall.

Before they knew it, the tiny professor was yelling, "Five minutes!"

James jumped up as Professor Flitwick passed him. He turned in his seat after yawning and messing with his hair. Sirius gave him two thumbs up. James turned back around and began drawing on his paper. He created a Snitch and the letters L.E. Lily Evans seemed to be on his mind lately.

"Quills down, please!" All the pieces of parchment flew into Professor Flitwick's waiting arms as he said, "Accio!"

James quickly crossed out the L.E. as Professor Flitwick said they could leave.

"Did you like question ten, Moony?" Sirius asked as he and James caught up with Remus and Peter.

Moony was the nickname they had given Remus. James was Prongs, Sirius was Padfoot, and Peter was Wormtail.

"Loved it. 'Give five signs that identify the werewolf'. Excellent question," Remus replied sarcastically.

"Do you think you managed to get all the signs?" James asked.

"Think I did. One: He's sitting on my chair. 2: He's wearing my clothes. 3: His name's Remus Lupin…" Remus said.

James and Sirius laughed, but Peter did not.

"I got the snout shape, the pupils of the eyes, and the tufted tail, but I couldn't think what else…" Peter said.

"How think are you, Wormtail?" James asked. "You run round with a werewolf once a month…"

"Keep your voice down," Remus snapped.

They, as well as many of the others went outside by the lake.

"Well, I thought that paper was a piece of cake," Sirius said. "I'll be surprise if I don't get Outstanding on it at least."

"Me, too," James replied, pulling out a Snitch.

"Where did you get that?" Remus asked.

"Nicked it," James said.

"Put that away, will you?" Sirius asked. "Before Wormtail wets himself from excitement."

"If it bothers you," James said.

He shoved the Snitch back in his pocket.

"I'm bored. Wish it was full moon," Sirius said with a sigh.

"You might," Remus replied. "We've still got Transfiguration, if you're bored, you could test me… Here."

Sirius wrinkled his nose and threw the paper back at Remus.

"I don't need to look t that rubbish, I know it all," he declared.

"This will liven you up, Padfoot. Look who it is…" James said.

Sirius look towards where James was and smiled.

"Excellent. Snivellus," Sirius called.

"All right, Snivellus?" James asked as Severus put his O.W.L paper in his bag.

Severus quickly dropped his bag and pulled out his wand, but halfway, James yelled, "Expelliamus!"

His wand flew out of his hand.