Too Early | Ashton

Your baby was born ten weeks early. You were only thirty weeks pregnant when you were admitted to the hospital due to complications, resulting in an emergency c section.

Baby girl Irwin was in the NICU while you were in the ICU.

Ashton was in LA with the boys to write and record when his phone started ringing left and right. At first, he thought nothing of it and brushed it off as you trying to throw more baby names at him. He figured he would call you back when they were done and you wouldn't mind.

But as the sixth call came through, he was getting annoyed so he excused himself from the room.

"Baby, I'm trying to record right now, I really can't talk," he said into the phone.

"Ashton, this is (y/m/n). (Y/n) is in the hospital. Something went wrong and they had to deliver the baby." Your mom rushed out, sounding panicked.

"What?" Ash said, not believing what he was hearing.

"You need to get on a plane, now." And with that she hung up.

Ashton walked back to the studio in a daze, tears staining his flushed cheeks as he thought about his baby girl that was born far too early to be safe.

"Mate, are you okay?" Michael asked, noticing Ashton first. Everyone in the room stopped and stared at him, waiting for an answer. Luke jumped up from his seat and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Something went wrong... The baby was born." As the words came out of his mouth, Ashton let out a chocked sob and fell to the floor with Luke. His best friends surrounded him and comforted him the best they could. No words were needed to know this wasn't a good thing.

Together, all four men took the next flight out of LA. The producers at the studio understood that this was a time Ashton needed to go and needed his friends with him.

Once they arrived at the hospital, Ashton beelined to your room first. You had only woken up from surgery an hour ago. Everything had been explained to you but you weren't allowed to see your baby yet.

"Ash," you sobbed and he rushed to your side, carefully pulling you into his arms and hushing you.

"It's okay, baby. It'll all be okay, I promise." He rocked you back and forth, your tears mixing together.

"Can you go check on her?" You asked. "I can't leave this room yet."

"Of course." With a long kiss to your cheek, he was leaving the room. Michael and Calum stayed behind with you but Luke insisted on going with Ashton, to make sure he was okay.

They were guided by a nurse to the NICU on another floor. He wasn't allowed to go into the room yet but they wheeled her clear covered bassinet close to the glass window so Ashton could see her.

She was tiny, the smallest thing Ashton had ever seen. She only weighed three pounds. There were tons of wires and tubes all over her small body.

Ashton gasped when his eyes first caught a glance at her. His hands started to shake as he watched the nurse check her vital signs.

"She's doing good for her situation. We have high hopes for her," the nurse said.

Ashton didn't pay attention to her, his eyes and ears only for the little one on the other side of the glass.

"Did you hear that?" Luke said, his hands holding tightly to Ashton's shoulders. "She's doing good."

"She's so fucking small, Luke. She could fit in one of my hands."

Ashton spent close to an hour just watching the tiny girl and trying to remember every detail of her face before deciding to go back to see you again.

He explained in detail everything about her to you but tried to not make it as scary as it actually was. He tried his best to hide how terrified he was after seeing her.