ch. 1

C H A P T E R O N E

The first day at home brings me more happiness than I ever thought it would. We talk, laugh and reminisce about enjoyable memories we spent together.

"So, honey, is everything okay in your life?" My dad asks me while we're together in the kitchen, having dinner like a normal family. It's been so long that I've had a dinner like this—with people I love surrounding me. In L.A, you only have time to chew some healthy food before having to rehearsal again, it it's not rehearsal, you have to prepare for an event or an interview. It's funny how we never realise how much family dinner is important until we have to live without it.

"Yeah, dad, I just really needed to take a break. My career seems to take over me and I feel like everyone wants to send me off to rehab," I tell him, "But I decided that spending time with you guys will bring me the happiness and calmness I'm graving for. I mean, what's better to escape my busy life than coming in a farm? You know, it's such a contrast from Hollywood and that is all I need."

"We're so glad you're back," mum adds. I smile at her. I will always be grateful for my parents. They saved money for years and spent it all on sending me to L.A for dance auditions. And I've always tried to repay them—I've even bought them a house in California but they refused to leave their farm. They love this place and they love their lives so I had to accept it, that they'll never like the life I lead, they prefer their simple one.

"Hey sis!" Lana, my small sister, giggles, "Now that you're back—will you play with me?"

Lana is 10 years old and can handle a farm better than I can at my current age. "Of course, now, let's go up and you'll show me your room and everything?"

Her eyes light up and she nods enthusiastically. I smile at my parents as we both get up and she grabs my hand and leads me upstairs. Everything looks the same and I can remember everything so clearly. Lana's room—previously my room—is decorated with girly things and is very...pink. I see her small bed and smile. Everything's so simple but it doesn't lack beauty at all.

"This is my BFF, Marie," she shows me a picture of a small blonde girl—opposite to her brown hair.

"She's so cute," I gush.

"I know I love her!"

I try to remember the last real 'friend' I've had and I can't think of anyone. In the business, relationships and friendships are mainly based on success. For example, if I meet a dancer or any other celebrity at an award show, we have to pose together and act like we're BFFs and post pictures on social media when actually, we rarely see each other but as soon as there are cameras—we have to put on our best smiles and act like we frequent each other regularly. I sometimes wonder if anyone actually likes me or if it's all part of an act.

"Are you okay?" Lana asks quietly.

I put on a smile. "Of course, babe. So tell me, what do you want us to do today?"

. . . .

Breakfast the following day is peaceful and joyful. I talk with my parents and try to be updated on their daily routines and also promise I'll help them.

"By the way," I finish chewing my sandwich and remember someone who used to be important to me, "How's Marilyn? Mrs. Bieber?"

Marilyn is a woman—at the age of my mother—who used to be the closest person to me in our small village. She taught me to grow crops and took care of me whenever my mother couldn't. She lost her husband in a car accident and used to live with her son, Justin, I think and he was about my age too so I guess he must be all grown up now, too. Justin was a shy guy and we've never really been best buddies because I think he always felt a bit of jealousy because Marilyn used to play with me a lot. But kids are like that. I remember all the good times we spent with our neighbours—mostly with Marilyn—and I want to know everything. How is she, how is her son, is she remarried?