ch. 24

I try to take Rex's words in consideration. Really, I do whatever I can to take my mind off Aiden and Marilyn but it's proven to be particularly hard. Especially when I wake up the next day, the familiar ringtone of an old Bob Marley song awakening me. I groan, sleepily answering the call on my iPhone without actually looking at the caller's name.

"Hi Selena! I hope I'm not waking you up."

I wonder how Lindsay always stays so cheerful. Even at seven in the morning. True I might not be a morning person but I think we all agree that the morning isn't the best part of the day. Lindsay thinks otherwise – she's always that happy.

I lay on the bed still, trying not to curse her out for waking me up. I clear my throat before speaking, "Not at all. I was already awake. What's up?"

"You know since that 'incident' happened between us, I feel like we're not that close anymore...with you, it's alright but something's changed with Justin and Aiden. I figured we could break this icy tension by hanging out today? I've got a new boyfriend. His name is Tony. He's so cute!"

I'm up by now, realising that it is in fact eight a.m., not seven. Lana has already left for school. "I'd be happy to meet him. However, I'm not sure Justin's willing to take a day off. The farm is his...child."

She laughs. "I'm sure you could convince him. And ask him to bring Aiden along!"

She continues to speak but I'm no more listening. At the mention of Aiden, the thoughts come back to my mind. This is a perfect occasion to get to know the guy. He doesn't look like the guy who's hiding something, really...he's just another guy. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm sure he's got a lot of stories to tell and a life quite interesting but he is like a character in a book that you forget quickly. The side guy who's always there during important events but to whom you don't really take an interest in.

The most I know about Aiden is that he's a tattoo artist. Apart from that, nada. Maybe I'm not really someone who listens a lot or maybe he's always been this closed up. Now that I think about it, I've never thought of him as anything else but Justin's best friend and now, I'm starting to doubt that too.

What does he have to hide? Aiden's the type of guy who you'll immediately warm up with because there's not one thing to dislike about him. He's attractive, nice and normal.

"Selena, are you here?"

I quickly hum in response. "Yeah, yeah...where do you wanna go?"

"Bowling?"

"There's a bowling centre around?" I ask, genuinely surprised.

"Yes, yes. I only found out but I really wanna try it so...we'll meet up there, at eleven?"

"Okay. I'll text you."

+

The sun is shining bright and the weather's strangely warm when I step in Justin's farm. From afar, I can see him lighting a cigarette and bringing it in between his lips, taking a long drag and puffing it out. He's obviously on a break by the way his white shirt is already muddy and his arms are sweaty. The sight of him smoking is weirdly attractive. I'd be the first person to say that smoking is bad but I can't say much considering I also smoke but yet I'm not defending the addictive drug yet I can't help but lick my lips as I watch him repeat the previous actions, running a hand through his messy hair as he rolls the cancer stick in between his fingers. He looks like a bad boy – the kind of guy parents would warn you to stay away from in high school yet you find them endlessly intriguing.

He's nothing like that, though. But yet I do find him endlessly intriguing. He works day and night for his mother, he doesn't like to open up about his feelings and he adores closing people out of his life for good. Yet, I've been able to sneak in and I feel proud of that. Because what I discovered was so worth it.