ch. 3

C H A P T E R T H R E E

"How was your day baby?"

The question makes me think. It has been a while that I'm home back from the tiring farming day. I think of Justin's harsh words and I decide that the day has been bad—very bad.

I sigh at Mom, "Not the best. I've been through better days."

Dad chuckles from the kitchen. He is helping Mom in making pasta for dinner and Lana is playing with her dolls in the living room. I'm leaning against the countertop as we converse. "It's okay," Dad tells me, "We all feel after a good, tiring farming day. It's good, the tiredness will make you sleep earlier and more peacefully."

"It's...not about tiredness. It's not even about farming."

"Then why are you in a mad mood?" asks Mom, sounding concerned.

Justin's face pops up in my mind and I suddenly regret that I haven't punched him or something. "Justin," I groan, "He's so annoying and judgemental. I don't know how Marilyn deals with him, God."

"What are you saying? Justin is one of the sweetest persons ever," Dad says.

I scoff, "Yeah, sure, whatever you guys say. But honestly, I'd rather—"

My sentence stays unfinished as I hear someone knocking at the door. While I walk to open it, I continue what I was previously saying, "Yeah, I felt very disappointed today by his behaviour and I'd rather burn in the depths of hell than have to see his face aga—YOU?"

I don't expect to see Justin Bieber in front of me, his casual strong look on his face and his undeniably hot arms irritating the hell out of me. He glances up at me and shakes his head, "You really have a problems with doors, don't you?"

"What?" I ask incredulously.

"Yesterday, you knock at my door and scream 'you' at my face and today I knock at your door and you do the same thing. I think you forgot that this is not how it works."

"I know how it works," I say, "I just don't get why I have to face the same ignorant person over and over again."

"The feeling's mutual. Having to constantly deal with you tires me—and we've only met, like, twice."

"Then why are you here?"

Before he can answer, Marilyn steps next to him. My frown turns to a smile as I advance forward to hug her tightly. "Hey," I say, "What're you doing here?"

"Your mother invited us to dinner. I thought you were aware of that?"

"No but I'm so glad you're here," I say sincerely, hoping that it would brush off my rude interrogation with her son. Although I love Marilyn dearly, I'm not planning on pretending that I'm fond of her son because he, obviously, doesn't like me so who am I to make an effort to appreciate him?

I direct her inside with the sweetest smile. I turn around to see Justin still in front of the door. While my parents are meeting Marilyn, I step closer to him, "How about you try to be civil just for this evening?"

"I have no problems in being civil to your parents," he tells me, "But the less I see your face for the night, the better it'll be."

He walks past me and I make sure to let him hear, "I wished I didn't have to see yours at all."

He turns to me with a fake smile, "At least we have one point in common."

I glare at his back as he smiles to my parents and greets them friendlily. What annoys me the most is that with them, he genuinely seems like a good guy and I feel like a bitch to complain about him to my parents when they obviously don't have to deal with his dark side like I do. I don't know why he hates me so much and I assure myself that it's the least of my worries.