ch. 6

C H A P T E R    S I X

The next morning, I was the first one to wake up. It had gotten easier with time. I grabbed an apple and excitedly, I said goodbye to my parents and Lana only to rush to Justin's house. I couldn't wait to show him the farm - in the best state it has ever been. I only hoped that he didn't see it during the night. I literally dragged him out of his house and although he was confused (and mad) he still followed me to the farm.

"Close your eyes," I order. We're now standing in front of the farm. The inside is not visible enough to show him what I've done but he obliges, closing his eyes while he mutters profanities under his breath.

"Selena, I told you that you don't need to come today because...holy s-shi-what the hell?"

His eyes dart all over the clean place. The farm has never looked better. New fresh seeds are planted and in an ordering manner. The door leading to the stable is fixed and I've fixed other things, too, (like repaint the small store where we stayed in yesterday) and basically, I redid the whole thing.

"M...my farm," he croaks out. I smile proudly. He's so emotional that he can't even speak.

"You're welcome," I joke and pat him on his back.

"You did this?" he asks, "WHY THE HELL DID YOU DO THIS?"

Now, this was definitely not what I expected. I expected him to take me in his arms in a hug and thank me dearly, I expected him to tell me that he's sorry for having been rude to me in the past but I didn't expect to see him flaring with anger.

"What?" I ask in a small voice.

"Y-you ruined everything. I've worked hard for this farm and you-you, why did you?" he can't even speak because he seems too frustrated.

"I thought...I thought you'd like it," I mumble, my stomach dropping, "The storm yesterday it-"

"You. Don't. Have. To. Pity. Me," he speaks slowly, stepping closer to me in a threatening way, "You do things for people if they're your relatives or friends, we're neither of these, Selena! Why are you so goddamn annoying? Leave me alone! Please! I don't need your help. Hard work is so worth it. I don't need you to show me how rich you are by practically renewing my farm. I've worked with my bare hands to set this up and you...you just did all of this out of money! I never let anyone work in here because this farm is a part of me. Why can't you understand this? This farm is all that I have and you ruined that. This-" he pauses and gestures to his surroundings, "-is not my farm. It is not the farm I sweat in everyday to keep my mother alive. It is one made by strangers for the thirst of money!"

I can only stare at his dark eyes in horror. I feel tears building up in my eyes almost immediately. His words are so harsh and hit me like a ton of bricks - what did I do?

"I only wanted to help," I manage to speak.

He laughs bitterly, "Please leave, right now. I don't want to ever see you again or your money or whatever you have to say."

"The farm was destroyed," I can finally speak properly again, "I- I was trying to help you. The vegetables were all ruined and you wouldn't have been able to make money about it. I just thought about Marilyn and did this. Why are you getting so mad, Justin? This farm is still yours and please, I don't care about money. I did this because I wanted to. Just like I'm going to donate money to everyone who needs it around here, this is the least I can do."

"I don't care," he tells me hoarsely, "Whether you do it out of pity or out of kindness - it's not real to me. I know celebrities like you. You help everyone around here so when you're back in L.A. you can be headlining magazines being the 'kindest' princess of all. Right? You're doing all of this for attention, right?"