ch. 21

Friendship is a word that people often take too lightly. There's a really, really thin line between friends and enemies. We all keep our enemies closer than our friends so what do you know about who you are to someone else? What if they're keeping you around just because they can get something out of it – for their own benefits? I've never been someone to truly believe in friends. They always end up backstabbing you.

That is, until I found Rex. And I understood that a best friend is not someone who compliments you whenever they can. It is someone who isn't afraid to tell you their true feelings even if it hurts you. A best friend is not someone who's constantly nice to you and drags you to silly parties to have fun, a best friend is someone who's carelessly and playfully rude to you and is not only here to party but also to dry your tears or better...to cry with you.

Watching Rex pack his things the next morning is harder than what I thought. I know, it's silly because I'll see him soon anyway but still, I feel highly disappointed when he finishes his suitcases and I walk him to the door with my parents and Lana.

He smiles sadly at dad. "Well, I've never had a father to talk about sports with so that was nice. And," he glances at my mom, "Your food has changed my whole perspective of delicious. Thank you both for welcoming me as if I'm a part of your family when I'm not. You guys were amazing. I'll really miss you." He then extends his arms and hugs both of my parents at the same time.

Bending down to reach Lana's level, he says softly, "And you're a little cutie. I promise next time I come here, I'll buy you every Frozen merchandises I can find."

Lana's eyes light up for a second, almost forgetting that he's leaving. But then she frowns, "Will you be back soon?"

Rex sighs. "Yeah I will," he says and hugs her. By the sad look on his face, I know it isn't that easy. But she doesn't need to know that.

Rex shuffles Lana's hair for the last time and walks to me. "I guess you can take 'hating kids' off my long, long hate list."

"That's an improvement. One problem out of thousands solved," I say playfully.

He laughs and then his expression changes to a sad one. I sigh. "No sappy sad speeches, please," I beg. Not because I'm rude but because I don't think I can take it without crying.

"Okay none of that. Just take care of yourself. Have fun. Enjoy it here. Have sex. A lot of it. And just be happy, that's all I wish you to be," he says.

"Thanks I'll keep this precious advice in mind," I say sarcastically. 

"I'm serious, enjoy your life here. But if you get in any kind of trouble, I'm just a call away from you, okay? I'm here. Always. No matter how far we are from each other," he tells me softly, cupping my face in his hands in a brotherly way. I feel my eyes starting to dampen. 

"I know, Rex."

Rex finally hugs me. Like, one of those bear hugs when you feel how much the person loves you. It may sound cheesy but it is true. I feel his arms tighten protectively around me and I sigh, wishing he could stay for some more time. He doesn't let me go for a good minute and when he pulls away, his eyes hold a sadness that I'm feeling as well.

He grabs his suitcases. "My taxi's here I think," he announces, voice shaky. He looks at all of us and smiles. "Goodbye guys."

And then he walks out, not once looking back.

...

The only way I had found to distract myself after Rex's departure is to spend time with Justin. But at around eleven p.m., I notice that Justin hasn't been answering my phone calls. It's strange but I don't really take it seriously – he's probably busy in the farm or something.