ch. 19

Justin's POV (((yas BITCHES!!!)))

"Put on a nice suit for the girl."

I groan in annoyance as Mom once again instructs me what to wear, how to talk, where to take Selena. I sigh as I put on a coat over the simple shirt I'm wearing.

I glance at her, "I think I look fine."

"You look like you usually do, not quite the charmer."

"I know Selena," I say, "She doesn't want me to impress her."

My mom chuckles. "I never thought you'd be dating Selena—"

"We aren't dating!"

"—You guys are going to be so incredibly cute."

I ignore her and grab my phone, texting Selena that I'm coming out to pick her up. I hope she's ready because my house is literally a few steps away from hers.

Mom gets up from the couch and walks up to me. Placing her hands on my cheeks, I see her eyes watering up and I inwardly sigh, knowing a deep speech was about to come up. And I'm proven right when she speaks up, "Justin I hope you're happy. Open up to her if you feel like it, give yourself another chance to love. Whatever happened in the past...I...I know it was hard and sometimes I feel like I'm not a good mother—"

"Mom," I interrupt with a stern voice. "Don't start with this. You know I don't want to go over this again. If we could choose our parents, I'd still choose you. Even if I knew dad would die, even if I knew what would've happened, I'd still choose him. You know why? Because I love him. I loved him as my father, as my friend and I'll never decide to change things. I don't want anyone but you two. And even if he's gone now, I still believe that he still is there – somewhere in the universe, wishing for us to be happy. And with you, that's what I am. I'm happy."

She smiles. "You're right. Enough with the deep talk, tonight you have to do only one thing for me."

"What?"

"Go get the girl."

...

One knock at Selena's door is enough to make her open it. I'm taken aback at how fast she opened the door – she was probably waiting for me. But when my eyes finally land on her, this is when I'm truly shocked. Her face is covered with a thin layer of makeup and it's professionally done so I immediately guess Rex helped her. This is what I like about her – well one of the things I like about her – she doesn't care about what I have to say about her. She knows she's beautiful. She's pretty damn confident about that and that's attractive and rare in a way. When she puts on makeup, it's not because she wants to impress anyone it's for herself because she feels pretty and loves it and I think this is the way things should be. Guys shouldn't be here to tell girls that they look better with or without makeup because they have the right to choose what they want. She's confident, outgoing and never fails to stay nice nonetheless.

Getting lost in my thoughts, I haven't noticed how she's already stepped out. I shake my head and smile at her, "Hey."

"Hi."

I smile wider. "You look gorgeous."

"And you look pretty bangable."

"Bangable?"

"Yeah that's not a word but I think it suits you," she states, winking at me. I laugh as we walk on the sidewalk together.

She finally glances at me. "Where are you taking me Romeo?"