ch. 9

"They signed a new girl to Dance 'N' Roll."

The sentence remains in my mind. I was speaking to Rex – my manager and my best friend – when he brought up the success of our dance label. I had asked him what caused the sudden raise of popularity and he had answered that they signed somebody new.

I felt it coming, thought, I won't be back in Los Angeles for another month and they have to find replacement. Except, the replacement is doing better than what I thought...it's not a matter of jealousy. But the business is like this – it's fast. It's a racing train and once you fall off, you never get back on...

If the girl – whoever she might be – is as good as Rex is telling me then I'll definitely have trouble catching up once back in Hollywood. I throw my phone on my bed and groan loudly.

I sit up straighter when I see my sister entering our room.

"What's up?" I ask casually, trying to act the best I can. I'm tired where I am but I don't want to seem rude, especially not to Lana.

She shrugs. "Need help with Math again," she giggles.

"Oh. You're calling Justin over?"

"Yes."

I have been on better terms with Justin since the party. Although in those two weeks, I've never once spoken about what he might've told me if we weren't interrupted and also the whole farm situation, I can tell that we've both mentally agreed to let that aside.

We're almost what you can call acquaintances. He doesn't throw rude remarks about me and I don't try to ignore him. I've helped him a few times in the stable where I've met Aiden and we have also become pretty close.

Time brought a drastic change to our relationship and I'm glad. I didn't want us to always fight and hate on each other.

"Hey," I grab Lana's hand before she can walk off. "How about we ditch all of these home works and go shopping today, just you and I?"

"Really?" Her small eyes fill with joy.

I smirk, "Of course. We're gonna spend a girls day today. Homework can wait."

She seems hesitant but I can tell that the choice isn't really hard when she throws her hands around my neck, hugging me hard and quick, "I love you!" She exclaims, reminding me that I'm not as bad of a sister as I thought I was.

...

We spend the whole day shopping. After calling Justin and telling him that Lana and I were going out today, we headed to the other side of the city – a, surprisingly, fashioned side. Not exaggeratedly full of shopping centres and luxury stores but enough to buy some decent clothes, different than the plain shirts and dresses they wear in the farm.

"Sel!" I hear my sister calling out for me. We are currently in a small shop selling perfumes and other stuffs like that. I walk up to her, noticing the small bottle of cologne in her hand. "Buy this!" She exclaims.

I take it in my hand, realising that it's for men. I chuckle slightly, "I'd definitely buy you that, honey, but it's for men only. Choose something else instead."

She rolls her eyes at me. "Of course I know it's for boys," she states in a sassy tone, "It's not for me but for my best friend."

I frown, "Who?"

"Justin!"

I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes back at her. Of course Justin is her best friend: Justin is everyone's best friend apparently (apart from mine).