Chapter 8

It was a lovely warm spring afternoon. The slopes of the valley were a deep lush green, under a light blue sky. In the distance, at the foot of the valley, there was a quaint small country train station. A steam train readied to depart. A small crowd of people on the platform waved at the passengers as the train slowly began to move off. Here, high above the train station on a plateau of the valley slope, a large group picnic was in full swing. Some people were relaxing on mats, with some chatting and some just having a nap. Many of the group, including the children, were engaged in a game of rounders. Milene picked up the ball and prepared to bowl it to the young blonde woman on bat.

"Not underarm Milene, give it your best shot!"

"OK, you asked for it!" said Milene.

Milene volleyed the ball as hard and fast as she could. Wendy easily connected her bat with the ball and launched it at least 150 yards away, sending the outfielders running into a nearby wood to find it.

"See, I told you I'd got better!" said Wendy, as she ran around the four bases.

"OK, but when our team get into bat we'll show you how it's really done," teased Milene.

Milene saw the pleasure in Wendy's face at the simple act of having managed to bat the ball so well. While Wendy had been growing up she had worked at her batting technique, never being very good at it, but always loving the fun of playing together. Milene looked at the lovely woman before her and thought how proud her parents would have been. Something in the distance caught Milene's attention. Far behind Wendy, up the hill, was a man in a white suit and hat, standing alone.

"Sarah, you pitch for me," said Milene.

The red-haired woman approached Milene.

"What's the matter?" said Sarah.

"I'll just be a few minutes," said Milene, "play on without me."

With that, Milene walked at a brisk pace up the hill. Before she had arrived at where the man stood she heard the solid whack of another well-hit ball, followed by the distant complaints of the out-fielders: "Oh come on Wendy! Not again!"

The man in the white suit watched as Milene reached the top of the hill, registering the look of anxiety on her face.

"I'm sorry Milene," he said. "I've waited and waited. There's been no sign."

Milene looked down at her feet, shaking her head.

With the outfielders still trying to find the ball Wendy had batted into the trees, Wendy and Sarah looked up the hill at Milene talking to the man in white.

"She looks upset," said Wendy.

"Look, she's coming down," said Sarah. "Come on!"

The two women ran towards Milene as she descended the hill.

Milene, seeing the women approach, wiped her eyes. "You two going AWOL?" said Milene, feigning a smile. "Get back to your game!"

"Are you OK?" said Sarah. "We saw you speaking to-"

"I'm fine. I'm fine." Milene lied. She wanted to be alone right now. Just for a while. She decided to bring forward what she had been planning for Wendy after the picnic.

"Listen," said Milene, "why don't... yes, Sarah, why don't you take Wendy with you when you go visiting today."

Wendy gasped, "Really! Can I?"

"Are you sure Milene?" said Sarah.

"I think so," said Milene.

Milene had wanted to take Wendy herself. She didn't know how Wendy would react, and wanted to be there to support her, and then bring her home if it got too much for her. After all, this would be her first time going back since her childhood. But now Milene knew she needed some time to herself, and she didn't want to share her sorrow with the girls.