Chapter 11

Milene took Wendy's hand and together they walked into the old church. The church was empty, save for a middle-aged man and a young woman, his daughter presumably, at the front pew, both apparently staring at a single lit candle on a candle rack near the altar.

Wendy remembered the last time she had been in this church, when she was small, that time also holding Milene's hand. Milene had explained to her then that no-one could see or hear her, which had felt very strange at first. She remembered a long white wooden box on a table in front of the altar. Sarah had told her later that her Earth body was in there. Wendy was glad she wasn't told that at the time, it'd have been too much to take in all at once.

That day, the day of Wendy's funeral service, Milene had lifted her up to her family and told her she could kiss them goodbye for now, but warned her that they wouldn't feel it. So she had kissed her mum and Philip. But when she had kissed her dad she was sure he'd felt it, but Milene had said he couldn't have. Wendy remembered walking back up the aisle of the church with Milene, happy she could visit her family whenever she wanted. But the next time she'd asked to see them Milene had said no, not right now, she'd have to wait until she was a little older. Wendy now realised Milene was trying to protect her from the hurt of watching her beloved family break up in the wake of her death.

Milene entered a pew in the middle of the church, saying, "Let's sit here."

"Milene, why are we here?" asked Wendy.

"Wendy darling, that man at the front pew... that's your father"

Wendy gasped, "No, it can't be!"

"Sweetheart, it is," Milene insisted gently.

Wendy moved to get up. Milene took her wrist, "No sweetheart. Stay here just now."

Wendy obeyed. She sat there, staring at the back of the man's grey head from fifteen or so pews behind him. She loved that man so much.

"He comes here every so often, and lights a candle, for you," said Milene. "Sometimes he stays just ten minutes. Sometimes he's here for an hour. Always when the church is quiet like this, so he can be alone with his prayers and memories."

"It's been so long since I died," said Wendy.

"13 years," said Milene. "Your father's 53 now. He has never gotten over your passing sweetheart."

Tears rolled down Wendy's face. She shook her head slowly as she looked at her father. She never paid attention to the young woman now looking around at her, then leaving her seat beside James and walking up the aisle towards her and Milene.

"What are you doing here!" said the woman.

"Sarah! What are you doing here?" exclaimed Wendy.

"Wendy, Sarah visits your father," said Milene.

"What? Why didn't you tell me?" said Wendy.

"Milene, you made it quite clear she wasn't ready," said Sarah. "Why did you bring her here?"

Milene paused, "I... we've had a chat-"

Wendy shook her head angrily, "I'm fed up with all these secrets and lies. After you left me Sarah, I left the wedding reception and I tried to find my house, but I got lost. Milene found me, showed me my house, told me everything about my family, and now we're here because she was worried you'd go looking for me and find out everything I've just told you."

Sarah was aghast, "You completely ignored me! I gave you specific instructions to wait for me! That's the last time you put me in charge of her Milene, she shows me no respect!"

"Sarah, it's been a hard day for her," said Milene, trying to placate Sarah's anger. "I'm sure it won't happen again."

Wendy stood up from her seat and brushed brusquely past Sarah, saying, "And now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go and see my father."

"Wendy, come back here!" called Milene.

Wendy ignored her, and marched quickly down the aisle.

Wendy's defiant pace faltered as she approached James, her father. His hair was mostly grey, his face quite wrinkled, and he appeared gaunt, his cheekbones prominent. As Wendy drew closer still she could see his eyes were bloodshot, and moistened by tears.

"Dad?" said Wendy, reaching out to touch his hand. She began to cry when her fingers went through him, unable to touch him or show her love for him. She felt a soft hand slip into hers.

"Come sweetheart," said Milene. "That's enough for today. Let's go home."

Milene led Wendy by the hand back up the aisle, and they disappeared together. Sarah had already gone.