Chapter 27

Flying high above, Milene watched young Abigail walk as fast as she was able along the country lane behind the church. She watched as Abigail's glasses were knocked off her face by a low hanging branch, and then as she tripped over a branch lying on the lane, falling hard on her knees. Milene watched as, unseen by Abigail, Sarah rushed to be by Abigail's side as she lay prone on the ground. Sarah showed the same concern for Abigail as she had done for James when he'd lived on Earth.

Milene then watched as the park gardener led Abigail to a park bench under an oak tree, with Sarah sitting down next to her. Milene flew down from the sky, landed gently, and sat in the empty park bench next to the bench where Abigail and Sarah were sitting.

Sarah placed her arm around Abigail as Abigail wept over the park bench. The gardener returned with Mary, who was holding Abigail's glasses. Sarah got up and joined Milene on the other bench.

 Sarah got up and joined Milene on the other bench

"This is good," said Milene.

"Good?" said Sarah.

"I mean good that Abigail and Mary are talking so frankly," said Milene. "Now they'll talk about Wendy's death. Abigail will come to understand more fully the grief Mary and Philip suffered. She'll understand why, because of James's part in the accident, Mary and Philip found it too hard to continue having him in their lives. Abigail will then come to understand how Philip has become so indifferent towards his father."

"Yes," said Sarah, nodding, "And Abigail will bring some sense of perspective to Mary, and later Philip. Mary and Philip will come to accept that James was a fallible man, but a good man."

"Maybe now we'll have some forgiveness in this family," said Milene.

"Yes, I hope so," said Sarah. She turned to look at Mary and Abigail, who were now in deep conversation. A puzzled look crossed Sarah's face. "How did you manage to get Mary to come to the funeral today?"

"I didn't," said Milene, "I went to her house this morning to see if she was coming. But when I arrived she was reading the newspaper and was still not dressed..."

________________________

Mary, sitting in her armchair and dressed in her nightgown, re-read the obituary notice in the newspaper for about the tenth time that morning:

CLARENCE, JAMES

Suddenly near St. Michael's Church, Liverpool, on 12th November 2000. James Clarence, aged 72 years, father to Philip, Wendy and Abigail. Will be sadly missed by all his family and friends. Funeral service to take place at St. Michael's Church, Liverpool, on Friday 17th November at 10:30am. Burial at Liverpool Municipal Cemetery.

Suddenly, there was a small bang at the window. Startled, Mary looked up. A small house sparrow had flown into her window, and was now sitting on the outside window ledge, a little stunned. Mary got up and walked across the room to the window. The little bird fluttered its wings then flew away. Mary's eyes were drawn to the framed photograph on the windowsill before her. It was a photo of Wendy sitting on the grass cuddling the porcelain doll James had given her. The photo had been taken two or three weeks before Wendy had died. Mary had arranged for it to be included in the order of service at Wendy's funeral. Wendy would be 37 now, thought Mary. Wendy would want her to be there today. She should go, for Wendy. No! thought Mary, rebuking herself. Even now, thought Mary, after he has died, to let him back in, would be to let that intense hurt back in. No. Mary returned to her armchair.