Chapter 29

Derek thumbed the next page of his book: A History of Ship Building. There were few people at the bus stop today, mostly just the new faces. Many of the regulars had gone home for a break. No-one knew when the bus carrying their loved one would come, so some took time off from waiting, entrusting the guides to lead their loved one to them if they arrived in their absence. But Derek had chosen to come back first thing every morning, and stay until evening, every day for many years now. Apart from the hard seating, it hadn't been a wholly unpleasant experience. He'd met some interesting people and made some wonderful friends. He promised himself he'd look up his old pal Willie after all this. See if the old bugger is still wearing those ridiculous fancy white suits.

A distant sound from across the bridge, or perhaps not. By now, Derek knew not to get too excited. It almost sounded like a gear changing. Derek looked across to the far end of the bridge. No bus was emerging from the wall of fog. He returned to his book.

"A bus! A bus!" a voice ran out from a young woman.

Derek looked up again. Sure enough, a coach had pulled out from the fog and was now making its way across the bridge. Derek had seen so many of these now that he didn't even get up. He had noticed how, over the years, the buses had changed, modernising with the times. They were now quieter, which made them harder to hear and so the first time one knew they were on their way was from sight when they emerged from the fog at the opposite side of the bridge. A small crowd of people congregated at the kerbside.

As usual, the bus pulled up, the door opened, though this time without a hissing sound. Must be electric, Derek thought. People started to get out. Derek smiled as family and friends were reunited. Then his smile faded as he anticipated the pain of those at the kerbside who would soon find their loved one was not on this bus.

Derek counted five people alight from the bus. Three woman and two men. Two of the women and one of the men were each met by a relative. It was a beautiful sight. Derek waited for guides to come forward for the other two people. A single guide came forward, said something to the man, and he followed her. This left a young woman, standing alone as the small crowd dispersed. Where was the other guide? Perhaps the young woman was meant to have gone with the guide who'd just collected the man? Derek noticed the woman had a yellow summer dress on, and was wearing sandals. She actually shared similarities with his own daughter, he thought, though had lighter hair and a different shaped nose. Why was no-one helping this girl? Derek folded down the corner of the page of his book to mark his place, got up and placed his book on his seat. He then walked along the pavement and began to walk down the grass embankment towards the kerbside.

 He then walked along the pavement and began to walk down the grass embankment towards the kerbside

"Excuse me young lady," said Derek, "If you wait here, I'm sure someone will come to collect you. A lot of people are away today, but-"

The young woman, apparently aghast, just stared at the old man standing before her.

"Granddad?" she said.

"I'm sorry, I-" said Derek.

"Granddad, it's me, Abi."

"Abi? No, you look-"

Abi didn't let him finish. She rushed forward and embraced Derek tightly. Derek was confused, not believing what was happening. He looked down at the girl. She looked up, meeting his gaze. Looking deep into her eyes, he suddenly saw it. Those deep green eyes. It was her. It was her!

"Abi! Abi!" exclaimed Derek, embracing Abi tightly. "I've waited so long for you."

They stayed like that for a while, just hugging.

Resting her head against her grandfather's chest, Abi said, almost whispering, "My baby? Where is she?"