Chapter 17

James was still holding Abi's hand when the paramedics arrived at the café.

"OK sir, you can let go now," said one of the ambulance men. "We'll take it from here."

James let go of Abi's hand and the other ambulance man checked for her pulse.

James stood up, now feeling almost sober. The flashing blue lights of the ambulance on the street outside flooded through the windows of the little café. James watched the crew leave the café, then return a moment later with a stretcher. James was overwhelmed with sorrow as the two ambulance men placed Abi's body on the stretcher and pulled up the blanket to completely cover the face. The paramedics then carried the body out of the café.

James watched through the café window as the paramedics conversed briefly with a policeman and policewoman who had pulled up in their police car behind the ambulance. The paramedics then placed Abi's body inside the ambulance with no particular sense of urgency. The police then entered the café.

"Are you the owner of the café miss?" said the policewoman to the waitress

"No, I'm just the night-waitress. The owner is on his way."

"That's fine," said the policewoman taking out a notepad and pen. "Now, you said on the 'phone that you knew the deceased?"

That word was like a slap on the face to James, even though he had witnessed the death.

"Yes, kind of," said the waitress. "She walks, walked the streets, you know. I think she was a junkie too. Hung around outside the café sometimes."

"Do you know her name?" said the policewoman.

"We just know her as Abi," said the waitress. "I only know that because the owner pointed her out to me when I started working here. He said I wasn't allowed to let her in the café."

"Would you happen to know anyone we can notify about the death, a friend of hers perhaps?" enquired the policewoman.

"None that I know of," said the waitress. "Never seen her with anyone that looked like a friend."