Chapter 18

Over the next few weeks, James called the police station several times to enquire after the baby girl. Her mother had saved his life that recent night. He didn't believe he'd been worth saving but he was deeply moved by the empathy she had shown him during her own apparent suffering, especially as it turned out to be her final moments on Earth. And so, James felt he owed a debt towards that woman who had given her last breath so selflessly to him. Even more strongly than that, however, he now felt a deep sense of pity for her vulnerable little baby.

WPC Herdy, the police woman from that night and handling the case, had been patient with James up until now. She had tried to reassure him that the little girl was in the best of hands. However, James's insistence for assurance as to the girl's well-being had eventually caused her to lose patience with him.

"Look Mr Clarence, this is not your concern," said WPC Herdy in this most recent telephone conversation. "The baby is now a ward of the state. There are protocols in place for this kind of thing that will ensure she is located with a good family that will care for her. I've told you this repeatedly. Eliz-, eh, she'll be fine. Actually, they've probably found a family for her by now. Now stop calling this number or I shall have you placed on a charge for wasting police time. I'm sorry Mr Clarence. Goodbye sir."

James put down the phone. Then, speaking quietly to himself said, "Elizabeth."

A few hours later, the senior administrator at Liverpool Child Welfare Centre took a call from a Mr Lawrence.

"Yes, the little girl's name, it's Elizabeth," said the caller. "I believe you received her into your centre a few weeks ago?"

The administrator made no reply.

"I'm a close friend of the family," continued the caller, "I was her mother's godfather actually. Abi's godfather I mean. I just want to enquire after little Elizabeth. Did you find a good home for her?"

There was a pause.

"Mr Clarence, is that you?" said the administrator.

"I...I beg your pardon, my name is-"

"Mr Clarence, WPC Herdy warned me you might call this afternoon," said the administrator.

"I'm sorry madam, I don't know what you're talking about!" said the caller, indignation in his tone.

"You called Abi's daughter Elizabeth," said the administrator flatly, "WPC Herdy said you might call us using that name for the baby. Apparently the WPC deliberately hinted at that name in your conversation with her this afternoon? She wanted to see if you would drop this 'persistent campaign' of yours as she calls it. And now I'm supposed to report you to her, and you'll be placed on a charge for wasting public time."

"Look," said James, relenting, "I only want to make sure the little girl is safe and well. Her mother really helped me...she stopped me having a bad accident. Then she died holding my hand while thinking about my welfare! Please, I owe it to her to see that her child is going to be well cared for. I-"

"Mr Clarence," interrupted the administrator, "It's Jean. I was one of the women who collected the baby three weeks ago. I remember you, you were sitting in the back of the police car."

"Yes, that's right," said James. "Please, Jean, just tell me, has the baby found a good home? That's all I want to know. But please, please, just be honest with me. Then make your call to the police."

"Mr Clarence,-" said Jean

"James."

"James, I understand your concerns, but we are bound by confidentiality rules. I can't tell you specifically where the baby is. But I will tell you she is currently in hospital being treated for malnourishment."

"Is it serious?" said James anxiously, "Will she be OK?"

"She's making a good recovery," said Jean, "She was very poorly for the first few days, but she is out of danger now. She's expected to be back to full health shortly."

James paused, taking this information in.

"What about a home? Have you found a good home for her?"

"We have a short-list of foster homes who have considered taking her, but as I'm sure you can understand, it's difficult to find a permanent home for someone like her."

"Someone like her?" said James, "What do you mean? A baby?"

"Oh I thought...I thought you knew already."

"Knew what Jean?" said James.

"Mr Clarence, the little girl has cerebral palsy."

James was silent for a moment.

"Please, tell me what hospital she is in. I'd like to see her. Please Jean."

"Mr Clarence, James, I'm not permitted to give out that information," Jean paused a moment, thinking, then added, "I completely sympathise with the strength of your feeling but I just couldn't tell you where she is."

"I understand," said James resignedly.

"I mean, if I told you such a thing," continued Jean, "that would be specifically against protocol."

"Yes, yes, I understand Jean," said James. "I appreciate your-"

"And don't get any ideas about following me when I go to visit her when my shift ends tonight at 7:30."

"Of course not!" said James, confused. "I wouldn't do-"

"My car's the little red mini by the way," said Jean. She then hung up the telephone.

That night, the tiny girl was sleeping soundly, wrapped in blankets in a clear plastic cot.

"Now if anyone asks," whispered Jean, "I don't know you, and you don't know me, OK?"

James smiled at Jean, nodding.

"So, if her name's not Elizabeth," said James, "what is it?"

"We don't know. It doesn't appear that the birth was ever registered. We think Abi gave birth in her flat."

Jean then told James that the police had located Abi's foster parents following a fresh appeal in the national press using the photograph they had obtained from the flat. Jean then told James of the series of tragedies in Abi's life culminating in her running away at the age thirteen.

Jean noticed how moved James was at this story. In an attempt to lift his spirits she said, "Suppose we will have to think of a name for the little thing soon. Any ideas?"

James smiled slightly, saying "How about... Abigail?"