Chapter 10

Soft Indian music from Karuna's wedding reception drifted out into the street. It was early evening, but there was still enough daylight for Wendy to look around where she now stood, trying to recognise anything that would give her a clue as to where she was. Maybe then she would find her way back home, well, her family's home. The surrounding buildings looked unfamiliar. The cars looked different from what she remembered. A couple of young women walked towards Wendy and she instinctively, though unnecessarily, sidestepped to avoid them. She noticed that they were dressed in a style similar to Milene's tastes. Sarah was right, she thought, Milene really is obsessed with keeping up with fashion! Wendy walked around for a while, but failed to recognise any landmarks.

This isn't working, she thought. She leapt up and propelled herself directly upwards, leaving the street far below. Still, nothing below looked familiar. She sailed higher and higher. Maybe if she could see the River Mersey, it'd come back to her where she had lived. She was sure her father had once shown her their home on a map. He'd pointed to a particular bend in the river as being near their house.

Looking down now she could indeed see a river, but it followed an unfamiliar path. She could see the sea, but it was about 30 miles away, far beyond the city. This wasn't Liverpool, she realised, it must be some other city. She conceded to herself that she would not find her old house, and that she should go back to the wedding reception and wait for Sarah as she had been told to do. She rapidly descended. As she approached the Earth, she realised she was no longer sure where the street of the wedding reception venue was.

She flew fast above the streets, listening for Indian music, trying to see a familiar street, but to no avail. She began to panic. She was lost! What was she going to do?

"I told you to stay with Sarah!" came a woman's voice close behind Wendy.

Wendy recognised the woman's New York accent immediately. Relieved, she stopped in mid-air, and turned around.

"Milene! I'm so glad to see you! I'm so sorry, I just wanted to visit my family, I couldn't wait

"Milene! I'm so glad to see you! I'm so sorry, I just wanted to visit my family, I couldn't wait. I thought I'd find the way myself."

"I'm sorry Wendy, not yet," said Milene. "I don't think it's the right time."

"I know, Sarah told me that too, but please! I can't bear not seeing my family!" pleaded Wendy.

Milene thought for a moment, then sighed. "Take my hand."

Together, Milene and Wendy flew at great speed towards the setting sun, faster than Wendy had ever flown before. They soon left the city where Karuna was having her wedding reception, crossed huge tracts of land, another city, then approached a city by the sea. They slowed down and began to gently descend in to that city. Wendy recognised the shape of the river far below her.

"That's the Mersey! This must be Liverpool!" she said excitedly. Milene said nothing as they continued to descend. They landed softly on a street immediately familiar to Wendy.