Chapter 26

In the morning light, the grey street where James had died five days before now looked warm and cheerful. A pair of house sparrows ate from a seed tray attached to a window box next to the alley, near where James had collapsed. Flying up the street now, they stopped at another feeder next to the cafeteria. The cafeteria was filled with customers having breakfast before setting off to work or some other daily routine. The pair of little birds then continued their cheerful flight, coming to rest on the church steps. A black shoe appeared next to them, and the sparrows fluttered away. An elderly couple, dressed in black, climbed the short flight of steps to the opened church doors, and entered the building.

The pews inside the church were sparsely populated. The funeral service was drawing to a close. The organist began to play the introduction to Amazing Grace, and the congregation got to their feet. The pallbearers commenced their slow procession towards the front of the church to collect the coffin there. Theresa supported Abigail whilst holding an open hymn book in front of them. Then a curious thing occurred. The over-loud organ music became gradually muted, and was replaced by the sound of bagpipes beginning the ballad instead. From the balcony at the rear of the church, Stephen played the introduction to Amazing Grace on the bagpipes with a mastery that had eluded him during his life on Earth. Soon, he was joined by the other members of Clary's Jazz Band, all with bagpipes, all playing equally melodically. Then, in the balcony, in a beautiful cream-coloured silken dress, Milene stepped forward, and began to sing Amazing Grace, beautifully. She was soon joined at her sides by Wendy and Sarah, also in cream silk dresses, also singing beautifully.

Abigail, unable to hear the beautiful singing, fought through her tears to sing along with the unmelodious earthly congregation and organ music. She was unaware that the pews behind her were no longer mostly empty. Instead, they were filled with the family and friends of James and his father, Stephen.

Abigail tried but failed to continue to compose her voice sufficiently to sing out. She shook and sobbed in Theresa's arms. The pallbearers placed James's coffin onto their shoulders. Over Abigail's shoulder, a blurred figure was walking down the aisle towards her, pausing along the way to shake hands and hug people. The pallbearers moved off with the coffin, leaving only the wooden A-shaped supports. Just then, in front of Abigail, the figure who had been walking down the aisle appeared. It was James, looking young and invigorated. Unnoticed by Abigail, James moved forward and embraced her warmly, willing her to have a happy life. Then, although it was the first time he'd seen her in person, James hugged Theresa, thanking her for her care of Abigail.

James looked to his left, at Philip, who was flicking idly through the order of service pamphlet and was clearly unmoved by the service. Saddened by this, James turned to leave, walking forward and past the candles on the stand at the side of the alter. Then he stopped. Something made him remember Philip in a much happier time, a more innocent time when he was a child: Philip, Wendy, Mary and he were in their garden, playing together as a happy family. James didn't know that, just at that moment, Philip was remembering the very same thing. James turned around, walked over to his son, and embraced him warmly. Philip looked up, and gazed forward. The order of service dropped from his hand.

Then, James turned around, walked past the candles, and slipped silently through the front wall of the church.