Chapter 20

And so, James gained temporary custody of baby Abigail. Jean dropped by with a nurse twice a week at first, then once a week, once a month, and then only called occasionally to make sure things were OK. James's custody of Abigail, at first intended to be only for a few months, began to stretch into years. All the while he expected a call from Jean to say suitable foster parents had been found. So, James wasted no time in instilling in Abigail his ideas of wisdom and morality to give her a strong foundation in her life. Time went on, and James raised Abigail in a way denied him of his own children. He taught her to see beyond her disability. He taught her chess.

He taught her how to deal with teasing at school

He taught her how to deal with teasing at school. He taught her goodness, and the courage he'd seen in her mother, Abi. He told her how Abi had saved him from himself and that she had been a good woman. And so, young Abigail Clarence grew up to be a good, strong young woman. James was truly happy.

One spring morning when Abigail, now sixteen, was at school, James sat in his living room in his coat and hat, dampness from the rain outside running off his coat and onto the sofa. He stared at the number in his little telephone book for a long time. Then he dialled the telephone, clearing his throat.

A woman's voice came on the other end of the line, "Hello?"

"Hello Jean," said James flatly.

There was a silence.

"Oh James. Oh James, I'm so sorry," said Jean.

"So what now?" said James, then continuing in a more pleading tone, said, "What about Abigail? I can't leave her."

"James, we can find a good home for her, with a loving family."

"But you can't," said James. "I mean, then why did you never call to take her away?"

"Because, James, we assessed she was in the best place with you," said Jean. "You have done a wonderful job raising her. You have nurtured strength and courage and goodness in her."