Chapter 32

Karen, the little girl whose adoption was the last to be personally administered by Abigail, had a very happy childhood with her new parents. When she grew up, she studied Indian History at Cambridge University. While on a student placement in Mumbai, she met her husband, Nirav, and they went on to have three children together. She had a rewarding career as a museum curator of Indian historical artefacts in various museums in India and across the World. After a long, happy and fulfilling life, Karen passed away peacefully in her sleep, her loving family by her bedside.

A few moments after her death, Karen embraced her family and kissed them goodbye. Then she noticed a man standing in the doorway of her bedroom, a man she didn't know. He appeared to be about forty years old. He looked kind. He was beginning to look strangely familiar to Karen, when he spoke the first sweet words she had heard after a lifetime of profound deafness.

"Hello Wendy darling."

"Look at that evening sky," said James. "The stars look so beautiful."

"They do look beautiful Dad," said Wendy, smiling.

James and Wendy, now both young adults, sat together on a bench at the end of the beach pier. James had the Clarence family photograph album on his lap. Three metres or so below their feet a sea wave slammed against the pier columns, heralding its final run towards the beach.

 Three metres or so below their feet a sea wave slammed against the pier columns, heralding its final run towards the beach

"We came to this beach one summer holiday," said James. "You were about 3 or 4 years old. We all had such a lovely time together."

"I remember it, I think," said Wendy, vaguely recalling her father being 'piggy in the middle', with her, Philip and her mum throwing a beach-ball over his head.

James smiled at Wendy. There was a pause, then he said, "I'm ready to speak the truth now Wendy."

Wendy took her father's hand.