She Will Be Loved- Chp 21

First off, I'm terribly sorry, I've had the worst case of writer's block ever mixed with suddenly being more busy than I can even explain. Also. This was a rushed chapter because I have to be running off to school (I'm already late) so no proof reading done. Might when I get home)

__________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 21

My eyes widened in shock. This was making no sense. I was clearly not the one in the bed with him but that didn’t change the fact that someone was. He read my expression for a moment then gave me a puzzled look.

“Wait ,” Jayden said , “So then , You mean to tell me that someone else was in that bed with me?”

I nodded slowly, not willing to accept this truth. There was no way anyone could have gotten into our house, if someone had we would have noticed, wouldn’t we? The house was big but it wasn’t that big. My eyes fell to Emi. She didn’t stir. Even she would have noticed, maybe she would have noticed even more than us. After all, she was the one who kept seeing things last night. That thought got me wondering. What exactly had she seen? I thought the exhaustion might have been getting to her but I now I was inclined to believe that there really was something. There was something when I took her for her bath and there was something when I went back for my own bath.

“We should try asking Jonie,” I paused to give him a look. Jonie was possibly the last person he would have wanted involved in any of this but she was also the only person who would know.

“I really don’t think we need to mention this to her. It could have been anything from my imagination to Matt sleep walking, nothing to really worry her about.” There it was; his reluctance. He was willing to lie to himself just to ensure she stayed out of it.

I shook my head, my gaze settling on him once more. “It couldn’t have been nothing. Emi saw whoever, or whatever it was. I just…I didn’t believe her.”

“Kai.” He breathed, still trying to convince me otherwise but I shook my head more firmly.

“There was something.”

“Then we could try calling the police. Wouldn’t they be better than a 16 year old girl who’s way in over her head with gadgets and the like? This would classify as their job, remember?”

I got up from the bed with a sigh. “There’s no point in getting them involved if there’s nothing.” Using his own logic against it. It worked only half the time. “If you’re so convinced that there was nothing then just maybe there wasn’t and we can ask Jonie to verify whether it was simply the neighbour’s cat or your great grand aunt.” The sarcasm was meant to be left out of that last bit but it was present, present and taunting.

He folded his arms and his brows knitted.

Good to see he was finally taking this seriously. “Fine. We’ll ask her, but if there really was something then her involvement stops there and we’re going to the actual authorities.” His brown eyes settled on me. “Are we good with that?” It wasn’t much of a question, even I knew that so I nodded then left the room. The idea was still rolling around in my mind. Emi was poisoned just the day before, Tara thought she heard someone outside the bathroom while she was taking a shower…Emi saw something moving through the hallway. There was no way I’d take any of this as a coincidence and in fact, if I didn’t know any better—which, granted, I really might not have—I’d think those two were up to no good idea. Trying to scare us. Set something up then have Destiny swoop in and give an explanation that Jonie had most likely already concluded. Ugh. It was enough to have my eyes rolling.

As I got to the bottom of the stairs, I heard an incessant banging at the kitchen door. With a lot more pep in my step I hurried over, though…not fast enough seeing as Jonie was now busily picking at the lock.