She Will be Loved- Chp 13

Chapter 13

"Aww Emi, wow you've grown so big!" Tara exclaimed when we got back to the car. Once Emi saw her she clung to Jayden and hid her face. I expected no better, after all the last time she saw Tara there was hardly any interaction and she hadn't seen her in months so I figured there was no point in getting mad at her for not making any other response. I guess Jayden saw it that way too because he never called her out on it, instead he fixed her into her car seat as I got into the front passenger's seat.

The ride home was filled with Tara trying to get a whole word out of Emi but she wasn’t very successful. Emi sat in her seat and stared at her, nearly blink less, resolve evident her eyes; she wasn’t going to speak. I almost laughed at her vain attempts but she seemed like she genuinely wanted a word or three so I thought I’d help out after we pulled into the driveway.

“Hey Emi, I got you a burger do you want it now?” I asked animatedly.

“Yah!”

“Oh so you do talk.” Tara joked. Emi looked at her for a second before turning her attention to me again.

“Auntie Tara has it so you have to follow her inside for it, okay?” This time she wasn’t as eager but she nodded none the less. “Great.” I said leaning in and giving her a quick kiss. I handed Tara the bag with the food and took the shopping bags that she had. “Go on inside, I’ll be right there.” First I had to help Jayden get all the stuff from the car into the room upstairs that she would be staying in. I sighed at the memory of all that was bought then walked around to the trunk of the car to find him pulling the stroller out. “Need some help?” I asked, leaning onto the car.

“Nope.”

I looked at him suspiciously as he put it down and gave me a smile. “And you’re saying this because you mean it and not because of your ego right . . . ?”

His smile turned into a guilty one. He leaned over and kissed me. “What do you think?”

I rolled my eyes; it figured. “I think that if you hurt your back I won’t feel sorry for you so you should take the help.” I retorted.

“But if I hurt my back then you’ll have to be my good nurse.” He said with childish innocence.

I shook my head. “No, I’d have to be your good girlfriend and call the family doctor to fix you right up.” I ended with a spitefully sweet smile.

He gave me a look. “Kai,” he started patiently, “we both know that I don’t find that man attractive.”

That just made my smile widen. “That’s the point. Call it an incentive to stay fit.”

He sighed. “Fine, when you get inside tell Matt that I need his help moving some things—oh and um tell him we’ll take pictures while we work so he can show the girls in his class that we really are close . . . yeah that should get him.” I shook my head knowing fully well that that would have more than gotten Matt. I began walking to the house. “Oh and one more thing!” I turned to him curiously. “Can you ask Stella to make us a pitcher  of lemonade and have it chilled for when or done or probably while we work?”

“Um sure no prob.” I jogged into the house and headed straight for the kitchen. Tara was sitting by the island still trying her hardest to get Emi to utter a sentence at most. My guess was that it wasn’t going very well because Emi had her mouth full and she only did that when she wanted an excuse to not have to talk. It was effective but annoying when I tried getting her to answer me when I needed to know something about her homework. Standing in the corner was . . . Jonie . . . and she was holding Dustin . . . Whose bright idea was that?! Just the look in her eyes told me that she wasn’t seeing a baby but was seeing another piece of information to add to her archives. I sighed. “Jonie.”