She Will Be Loved- Chp 20

Guys I'm really sorry, lately everything's been crazy for me and it just seemed like there weren't enough hours in the day! I'm trying to keep the story going and actually it's about to get really interesting so just bear with me....

Chapter 20

I looked frantically from Jonie to Jayden then back, hoping someone would answer me before I really started freaking out. Their actions told her that they obviously knew what was wrong and what’s worse, they had a cure. It was almost like it had been planned…or maybe they had seen it before. When I realized that none of them was planning to answer me I grabbed Emi and took her into my hold.

“This isn’t funny, now one of you needs to tell me what the hell is going on?”

The two exchanged a wary glance before either of them even attempted to answer me. I saw Jonie swallow hard before her lips parted.

“I don’t know how it happened but somehow Emi got slipped some rare poison that can only be found in two places.” She said in a near whisper, her gaze resting on Emi the whole time.

That didn’t sound very promising. “Well…where can you find?” The look on her face told me that I didn’t want to know the answer but I had to listen. Since this was a poisoning it meant someone had deliberately tried to kill my baby. Only one person had ever tried that but she was dead now.

Jonie sucked in a deep breath… “My lab….and the inside of twelve dead victims...”

My eyes went wide. “What?!?!”

“I don’t know how it got out of the lab, Cynthia created it as a kind of application experiment to get accepted into the leading spy corporation once she graduated but it back fired when they almost had her arrested for trying it out on the twelve victims.” I saw a faint smile come onto her face. “It was a success from the very first victim…the other 5 were for proof of accuracy and the last 5 were because she was bored. She even made an antidote.” She sighed with a look that said she had drifted back to the present. “After she died I took all of it and stored it in my lab so it wouldn’t get into the wrong hands, then kept the antidote in case it did. This doesn’t make any sense…no one knows how to get into my lab…”

She couldn’t be serious? Why anyone would had even considered making something like that? Weren’t there other ways of proving ones resourcefulness that didn’t involve getting people killed?!

“Well think, who might have had a small chance of breaking in…?”

She shook her head, “No one.”

Well that clearly wasn’t true seeing as I nearly lost my Emi but I wouldn’t point that out. Something told me that would have hit a raw nerve with her. Instead I let out a sigh. “And you’re sure that purple stuff will help and she’ll be fine?”

“Yeah…” She sounded distracted. A sign that she was already trying to figure out who might have broken into her lab. “I’ll uh…I’ll see you guys later.” She muttered, her gaze now resting on her room’s window. I watched her walk off before Jayden wrapped his arms around me and led me into the house.

When we stepped through the front door Tara walked down the stairs. “Hey did you guys get the ice-cream?”

I looked over at her. There was no need to worry her. The last thing I needed was her worrying about Dustin. “Umm…no…Emi wasn’t feeling well so we took her home; it’s nothing serious though.”

“Oh, so did you get the stuff from the school?”

That reminded me. At least this day could turn for the better. “Yeah actually, and um you can start on Monday. I have the schedules and all that stuff in my bag, we can check them out later.” I forced a smile on to top it off.