She Will Be Loved- chp 9

Chapter 9

I shot up from my seat immediately. What could have Matt have possibly done to get sent there? He promised me that he would cool down! Furthermore he was taking anger management classes to avoid these very incidents!

“What did he even do?” I asked the Freshmen.

“He—well he punched a Sophomore and that kinda blew up into a—“

“He did what?! Why?!”

“Let’s go.” Jayden said shooting up. I grabbed hold of my hand and we made our way to the principal’s office. The door was of course locked which left me in the same position I was in last term when Jayden was called to the office along with Carmen. That wasn’t the best time for me especially because of why they had gotten sent and infact I really wished that Jonie could just show up because I just had to find out what was going on. And what jerk would hit a freshman anyway—even if Matt hit him first! To the side of the door where the bench was I saw four students sitting, my guess was that they were waiting on the idiot who would get into a fight with a freshman.

“Do you guys have any more info yet?” Destiny asked, walking over to us.

“No none yet. We’re waiting for them to come out.” Jayden said taking a seat too.

“Well maybe we don’t have to wait.” She said coyly. Where was she going with this . . . ?

“What do you mean?” the girl who had told me the news asked.

Destiny’s face lit up as she reached into her bag and took out what looked like an older version of the device Jonie had used to get the information we needed. I raised an eyebrow at her. Was she serious? She knew the majority of us were faithful to Jonie and quite frankly I would have preferred waiting as opposed to using her method. Looking over at Jayden I saw him roll his eyes as she began setting up. So I guess it wasn’t just Jonie’s data carrier that annoyed him but anyone’s in general. I couldn’t help but wonder what he had against it.

“What are you doing?” One of the guys, that was sitting on the bench, asked.

“Well I am a data carrier so I would obviously need to be prepared for situations such as this one. I’m setting up and in a minute we’ll be able to hear everything that’s going on the inside.” Everyone crowded around her in awe except me and Jayden. I refused to contribute to her reputation and Jayden just seemed plain uninterested. When she saw that he didn’t get up she looked offended but quickly turned her attention back to the many that she had under her watch.

“Come her.”

I whipped around and saw Jonie heading down the hall and away from the office. Without questioning it I quickly followed behind. She stopped in the adjoining hall then turned to me.

“She’s pushing it.”

“What do you mean?” One of the most basic if not the fundamental rule of being a data carrier is that no one is supposed to know that you are one.” I was about to open my mouth and say that I knew she was one but she cut me off. “And yes I know that you know and that is simply because exceptions are allowed and are limited to family members and friends that you may have to kill later on in life—“ My eyes bulged wide. “Calm down, I’d never let that happen to you. Look the point is that you can’ go around broadcasting it to everyone.”

“Oh . . .” It didn’t seem like Destiny cared very much about what the rules were in the first place . . . or maybe she didn’t know them. . .

“Anyway, thanks for not counting on her to get info on Matt.” This time I could hear genuine gratitude in her voice. She was happy that I hadn’t abandoned her.