She Will Be Loved - Chp 25

Chapter 25

---Kai's POV---

The coming week was something straight out of a family sitcom. Everything was normal. Jayden went about slipping from bouts of overconfidence to spells of wondering what would happen if he didn't win; Matt was slowly ruining his friendship with Dylan; Emi still hated school; Tara was adjusting. It was all wrong. So very and completely wrong that I didn't know how to express it. There was an unsettled feeling building up in my stomach that left me without an appetite most of the time and sleeping was next to impossible. With everything Jonie had said about Cynthia, I couldn't allow myself to believe she'd simply packed up and gone elsewhere.

It couldn't be true.

Jonie was almost as absent. Between a perfect week and my data carrying friend going missing, my world was going in extreme slow motion and my eyes were peeled, waiting for the grand disaster that would ultimately send everything crashing down in a split second. Life had taught me that those moments were unavoidable and accepting it was key to not only surviving but moving forward.

"Kai, we're gonna be late, we're gonna be LATE."

I sat on the stool in the kitchen, watching him circle the island counter a few times. This was going to be a big day—for him and honestly I was excited too but I'd been going to the school long enough and had heard enough to know that ever since he'd gotten his image, Jayden never lost. It wasn't possible, not when it came to the choice of the people. Somehow he'd found a way to make even those who hated him place him in power and as much as many wouldn't like to admit it, the Body was a powerful force to be reckoned with. When I first showed up, I remember them telling me how that group of students were the most powerful in the school...how exclusive they were...That alone spoke to how set in their ways the students here were. No one challenged the hierarchy; sometimes I wondered why others bothered to run. The press maybe; that chance to see their face put up in every hall and to have their names whispered by the gossips in the hall.

Human beings were among the strangest things on this earth.

"Jayden...we're all waiting on you." Of everyone standing around in the kitchen, it seemed I was the only one who would be willing to tell him and it was either that or watch him pace for the entire morning. Now as riveting as that sounded, I didn't want another lecture from Emily's teacher when we'd been doing so well this week and I happened to have a test second period that I needed to help Madelyn study for.

He stopped dead in his tracks, locking eyes with mine. "Oh, well why didn't anyone say so? Come on, come on. I've got last minute campaigning to do."

Jayden didn't waste a second more before grabbing his car keys and bolting from the room. Matt and I exchanged glances but the cook went to collect the dishes. Where was his brain today? Shaking my head, I turned to grab Emi's bag from the counter. That's when I heard:

"Bye Daddy!"

...

......

"Matt." I said, shooting my brother a wide eyed look. Immediately he ran into the living room, standing by the window Emily had been waving through. I knew what happened the moment I saw him slap his palm against his face with a heavy sigh.

"No school!" In seconds my three year old was kicking her shoes off then pulling at her socks. I managed to get to her just in time to prevent her from pulling off her skirt.

"Whoa whoa whoa, Cupcake. School is still happening." I grabbed at a sock while dialling Jayden's phone because he had clearly forgotten something in his rush...a few somethings. "Hold still, sweetie—Jayden, hi, glad you remembered how to answer a phone—No, Emi, put your foot in, come on we're gonna be late—aren't you a little short on passengers?" I heard the moment realization hit even through the phone and couldn't help but roll my eyes. Patiently, I listened through his rambles of apologies while wrangling Emily back into her shoes and socks. It wasn't the easiest thing to do after she'd seen him drive off the way he did but somehow it got done.