Chapter 13: Fire

Paige's POV

My hands were still brittle from the chilly December air even with the fire. My body felt frail and I needed more heat to bring it back to life. I gathered some fallen branches from the ground and brought it to my camp site to add to the fire. I used some of the twigs I used for my makeshift bed and put it in the center. I rubbed the twigs swiftly together until the heat struck. The heat instantly felt warm to my body and felt somewhat like home in the cold crisp nights next to the fireplace. My hands slowly began to warm up until suddenly I saw something fall from a tree. It moved almost in slow motion and all I could do was watch it until it touched the flames of the fire and exploded.

I flew back far and fell unconscious. It all seemed likes blur. When I woke up my mind was still unclear and my ears felt useless. Time had passed since the explosion, and the sky must have turned darker. I couldn't hear the animals and it was rather silent. I tried to whistle but it remained complete silence. I had came to the conclusion that I had lost my hearing and was about to emerge into tears. I would never be like Maddie- the toughest person I knew. My breath felt muffled and stiff as I heavily took in air. What fell from the trees?

I was lost, correction I was utterly lost in the wilderness with no hearing with a task that seemed nearly impossible to achieve at this current moment. I can't find my way home to tell my brother's sacrifice! The sign that I saw that read "Welcome to Pittsburgh," earlier was nowhere in sight. My spine had a tingling feeling and my mind was racing. This was the only feeling I got when the kidnapper was near. I apprehensively turned around to be face to face with the spreading fire. The fire was now all around me in a circle and I was in the middle of it. I felt like in the movie with the bulls surrounding the person whom had disturbed them. The heat was excruciating for my skin to bear. My face turned alabaster, even more white than usual. I saw a branch of a tree that was strong looking; maybe it was enough to hold my weight and it was just enough that. I could just reach it. It was my last hope.

I jumped as high as I could just as the fire came into the middle. I wouldn't be safe just yet since trees are very flammable, but I managed to escape that last bit. The fire started rising and climbing on to the tree faster than a cheetah. This was it the moment after watching all those Tarzan movie would pay off.

I jumped off the tree to a higher one farther from the fire. I pushed myself as far as I could go but my fingers just brushed the tree's branch and I slipped and headed towards the fire. Just as I was about to fall into the flames something caught me.

"I got you." The voice belonged to a middle aged man in a firefighting costume. The other firefighters looked older too and put out the fire.  They looked like they were around their high five fifties or low sixties. The flames slowly became extinguished and faded like an old memory. My heart was beating so loudly that I think the man heard just how stressed I was.

"It's okay little girl." He hushed. The tone was familiar as if it was from my childhood. I then realized I must have gotten my hearing back! He looked at my face, "Paige?" It puzzled me how he knew my name and made me start to hyperventilate.

"Paige! Paige! Come on it's me. You're... father." He looked concerned and genuine and his smell felt very familiar. My mouth just hung open too speechless.

"After all this time..." I spoke muffled.

"I'm sorry." He replied softly.

"Why did you leave?" I started to cry. I was trying to sound brave and authorizing but I choked. It was too much for me to handle. First Josh dies now I see my father who abandoned us; who abandoned me when I was just so little.

"I'm so sorry. But we'll have plenty of time to spend together when I take you to my house."

An: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this action chapter. So Paige found her father! Comment your theories. Can this get 30 likes and 20 comments?

Dance moms: Amber Alert ( a Paige Hyland, Chloe Lukasiak, Maddie Ziegler, Kenzie Ziegler, Kalani Hillker, Brooke Hyland, Nia Frazier, Kendall Vertes fanfic) ~DM AWARDS WINNER!!!Where stories live. Discover now