Chapter 15: Band-aids Don't Fix Bullet Holes

Recap of chapter 14
"You dare talk to me like that when..." She walked towards the kitchen sink and grabbed a filthy red knife that looked like it was drenched in blood recently. "I have this," she finished her sentence." My heart started to beat faster and faster. I thought about my mom and Brooke. I would never see them again.

"Listen Hyland I've never liked you or your brother because..." before she could finish her sentence a bullet flew in the room.

The noise of the bullet richoicocheted through the dusty walls. As if it was going in slow motion it swirled around targeting just towards Maddie. Closer and closer the bullet crept. I've never watched someone get killed, although I thought I heard Josh die, and I'm not starting now. I closed my eyes but I heard no screech, no bullet penetrate the girl. When I opened my eyes I had realized that the bullet was on the wall behind her and had missed her by less than a centimeter. Again a bullet was fired but this time it had struck her since she did not see it coming.

She collapsed on the floor as she took her last gasping breath. "Watch out for..." She started to warn me but her eyes turned cold and Maddie Ziegler was dead.

"What? Who?" I frantically yelled. I then got up and tried to process everything. Who had just risked their life to save me, and was this it? Was I finally safe and could see my family again? It then occurred to me that someone dangerous was outside and I should probably hide. I started to run to look for somewhere to hide when I heard a voice,

"Don't run I won't hurt you, only the ones who try to hurt you I shall hurt," it was a man's voice deep and raspy. The knob of the door turned and I started to hyperventilate with thoughts of who it was. Had she called for backup beforehand? It seemed very unlikely because Maddie never wanted help and wanted to take care of difficult matters herself.

The door swung open revealing a man with light gray hair, deep wrinkles and a faded old smile.

"It's me Paige, your real father," he said and my mouth swung open like the door he used to get through. He embraced me in a hug. "I've been a terrible father so I'm just going to take you home, I'll explain on the way," I followed him out to his car, a bit skeptical after last time, and examined it. It looked pretty normal to me so I sat next to him reluctantly in the front seat. I asked him a few questions once he started the car.

"What was that? I'M SCARED YOU KNOW! YOU JUST SWOOP IN AND THINK YOU CAN JUST "DRIVE" ME HOME AND NOT EXPLAIN ANYTHING?" I started calm and just started yelling. Tears dripped out of my eyes. I was so apprehensive, perplexed and now I was just plain angry. I let all the angry I contained throughout the years towards him slip through.

"Ok, ok you're right, I don't expect things to be normal. I'll just drop you home and I'll never see you again if you want. What happened back there is going to take awhile. Are you ready for this?"

"After spending two months in the wild and being kidnapped I can take anything," I remarked.

"Ok well you're father left for a reason. You're mother probably told you I didn't love her anymore because I didn't want you to get mixed up in my mess. It all started when your mom was pregnant with Brooke. I got a call to be a secret service man and it would pay incredible. I wanted the best for my family so I took it even though they said it was very messy. I thought it would be only messy for me, but I regret it everyday now." He took a moment and shivered his body.

"So this is all you're fault?!" I started.

"Maddie Ziegler? No. She's nothing compared to what I'm going to be telling you, just be patient,"

"I'VE BEEN PATIENT FOR NEARLY 14 YEARS SINCE YOU LEFT ME WHEN I WAS BARELY TWO!" Something just made me furious and I just couldn't hold it in much longer.

"I KNOW PAIGE, I know," his voice got all softer, "I always wanted the best for you guys. So when they said it was messy they really meant "messy." It started off just taking care of some "business" in Canada. Who knew they were planning some attack. I had to take care of the ones in charge. No one even knows anything about this, or the the attack planned. After that your mother said I shouldn't work so hard, but I wanted to spoil my family. This time she was about to have Josh so I took the day off when she was going into labor and that's when disaster struck."

"Wow I always thought you had some personality disorder." I felt guilty now.

" Good then your mother said the right things. Anyway..." He stopped as he parked the car onto my driveway. It felt so unfamiliar after all this time. Tears poured down my face, not because I was upset, but so jubilant that I could finally be home and see my family.

"Wait finish the story!"

"I have to really go I'm getting a call. I'm still working on your case,"

"But she's dead it's over,"

"Oh honey it's far from over," he kissed my forehead, I jumped out of the car and the rest of it was a blur, all I could think of was his last words.

An: This might just be my best written chapter of this book yet! I just loved it so much and I hope you do too. I didn't reach my goals for my last chapter but I wanted to update because it's been 3 weeks. This time I'm not going to update unless I get 26 likes and 15 comments so if you want more make sure you like a comment.

Anyway comment your reactions to this story I might pick a few and display them next chapter!!!

Dance moms: Amber Alert ( a Paige Hyland, Chloe Lukasiak, Maddie Ziegler, Kenzie Ziegler, Kalani Hillker, Brooke Hyland, Nia Frazier, Kendall Vertes fanfic) ~DM AWARDS WINNER!!!Where stories live. Discover now