Room-schooled

"So, if you put X here and..."

Eyes dropping, mouth slightly agape, drool nearly dripping; her brain scrambled to understand, but could not. Katherine scratched her head for tenth time as she tried to keep up with what Cecilia was teaching them; both of them were carefully sat on the bar stools inside Jesslyn's apartment, currently not allowed to leave the place.

It was nearly ten in the morning and Cecilia was already on the third subject they both took, but with different teachers; it was a different subject after every hour. Cecilia was a brilliant teacher if both of them had to be honest; her explanation was flawless and she does not leave even the slightest detail behind, even elaborated on some parts that both of them did not understand.

"Did you guys get that?" Cecilia paused from the small whiteboard and looked over at them, a book in her hand.

Katherine shook her head timidly, "I'm a bit... lost."

"Okay," Cecilia nodded as she bit her lower lip as if to contemplate, before she turned to Hailey, "What about you? Anything?"

Hailey smiled, but shook her head, "I'm good."

"Alright," Cecilia pursed her lip to one side before she looked back at Katherine, "Show me your work."

Taking a deep breath, Katherine flipped her paper to show Cecilia her work; she waited patiently as the master mage examined her work and nodded at some parts whilst her fingers traced her workings. She noticed the look in her eyes, at how serious they seem to be – something she was unused to coming from some like her.

"You made a wrong calculation here," Cecilia spoke as looked up from the paper, "You moved the X to the wrong side," she told her as she narrowed her brows and pursed her lip to one side, "You don't have to move X when you've cancelled the rest out."

Katherine nodded as she looked at her answers, "I see..."

Whilst Cecilia focused on her, Hailey stared at the duo and found the scene a little too amusing; it felt as though Cecilia was Katherine's mother and she told her where to put the fork and spoons after she washed them. It made her giggle all of a sudden which caught the duo's attention.

"Is there something funny, Miss Shepard?" Cecilia questioned with a raised brow directed at the blue haired teen, who had a hand over her mouth as though to calm her laughter.

Hailey shook her head a second later, "No, none at all, Miss Sanchez."

"If you say so," Cecilia replied as she looked at her with half-lidded eyes as though miffed for using her last name, before she turned back to Katherine, who was spacing out with the eyes at the clock next to the beer cabinet. "Do you understand now, Miss Wilson?"

Katherine darted her eyes back at her at sudden call of her name, "Y-yeah, I got it."

Cecilia studied both of them through half-lidded eyes and felt as though they were not taking them seriously; it made her purse her lips to one side before she let out a sigh, then returned to the small white board and began to erase what she wrote on it previously.

Just as she erased the last part, the alarm clock that sat on the mini fridge buzzed out loud and shook violently on top of it; she trotted towards the little contraption and placed it out of its misery by pressing the long rectangular button.

"Okay, time for a five minute break," Cecilia announced as she made her way towards Jesslyn's room, but stopped and looked at them before she even held the handle, "Don't go anywhere, alright?"

With that, she disappeared inside Jesslyn's room, where the duo believed she would use the bathroom; surprisingly, every teacher's apartment had two bathrooms – one for the guest and one for the master's bedroom. It was as though the engineer knew that the teachers would have guests staying.