Escape

Eyes slowly opening, a bright blue room greeted her; her body lie comfortable on a soft mattress. Slowly, she sat up and peered around the room; her hand caught her forehead as a light throbbing dawned on her from the back of her skull.

"Where," she whispered as she took a deep breath, eye closing to find the pain, "Am I?"

A click sounded from nearby which made her open her eyes to find it; a familiar brunette smiled wearily at her as much as she approached her with feelings overwhelmed with both anger and worry.

"How are you, Shepard?" Jesslyn asked as she sat on the wooden chair beside the bed; she held her head and tucked a loose strand of blue behind the teen's ear. "Do you feel any ailments?"

Hailey shook her head and noted the emotions from her touch; there was an underlying want to rebel within Jesslyn, which made her wonder. What could possibly make her feel so desperate? And for what? To whom?

"You seem far better than anticipated," Jesslyn told her as she looked at her with great concern, "How are you feeling?"

Hailey felt a throb in the back of her skull that made her groan, almost alarming Jesslyn; she dismissed her thoughts with a wave of a hand that made the brunette sit back down. Somehow the pain worsened from earlier; it could only mean she would get a headache.

"Do you need anything?" Jesslyn queried as she poured a glass of water for her and offered it; Hailey took it with gratitude and shook her head once again. "Has the wolf caught your tongue?"

"That's not funny, coach," she frowned as she set the glass aside, "Speaking of which," she looked at her after rubbing her temples, "Where's my Wolfie?"

A second ran and Jesslyn looked away, unable to give Hailey an answer as much as her eyes spoke of dismay; it was obvious she knew something but she held back her tongue from speaking.

Hailey could sense it all; the way her heartbeat would slow every alternate second told her that this was something beyond Jesslyn's control. Her eyes looked dark — nearly lifeless — that matched the emotions that stirred inside her.

Jesslyn looked up and Hailey found fire inside her green irises, which told her that there was something she could still do. The blue haired teen matched her eyes and examined her carefully, waiting for an explanation.

"Kathie is," Jesslyn looked away for a moment to let a sigh escape her lips, "Currently under observation."

"Observation?" Hailey queried with worry riding the high tone of her voice. "What' going on?"

"Well," Jesslyn leant back against the chair, before she looked away once again to show her worry, "She currently detained," she answered truthfully, "But where, I can't tell you yet."

"Yet?" Hailey raised a brow with disbelief across her face.

"I will tell you eventually," Jesslyn assured her, "Just not right now."

"Why?" Hailey prodded as she crossed her arms.

"It's kind of," Jesslyn looked away and scratched her nape, "Complicated right now."

"Jesslyn," Hailey furrowed her brows, "Just spit it out."

Jesslyn shook her head and looked at her with eyes that begged for understanding; she placed a hand on Hailey's shoulder before she stood up. Hailey followed her nearly sullen gaze, worry etched on her face that was hidden through her casual, but sad smile.

"I'm sorry, Shepard," Jesslyn shook her head as she began to walk away; Hailey could feel the swell of overwhelming distraught, sympathy and above all, sadness — a great disbelief that she could not do something.