Enkindled

"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of malcontents." – Salvador Dali

Water streamed under her feet as she felt the waves push her gently in between her legs; the winds blew through them as they took slow, deep breaths. The air sent them a message – beautiful and serene. It was tranquil and a bliss that all of them felt naturally comfortable in.

You're doing well, my dear.

"Okay," the sprite – the head of their group of Faeries – of the crowd stood up from the river they were in and walked gracefully to the shore, "Our meditation is complete," the crowd sighed as they all walked towards the shore, "First years, you may walk with your mentor."

Hailey took a deep breath as she approached a tall, slender upperclassman with short hair; her head was shaven, but was left with a small knot on top. She had a smile on her face as Hailey approached her; her chocolate brown eyes glistened with anticipation.

"Ready to conjure your golems?" She questioned as she began pacing to the forest.

Hailey smiled, "I just hoped I have enough focus, Narene."

"I believe you will succeed," Narene replied as they treaded through the forest, "And just call me Rene."

Hailey nodded, "Okay, Rene," she tied her hair into a pony again, "Which golem are we going to summon?"

"Fire," She replied as she turned to her for a moment, "It's the hardest one to conjure because it eats off our-"

"Anger, rage, fury," Hailey interrupted her as she tried to recall them all, "And the green monster."

Narene nodded, "Smart and beautiful," she smirked as Hailey just giggled lowly, embarrassed, "You're going to be fine, I'm sure."

"I hope so," Hailey sighed softly as they reached a safe place. There were a few trees around and more glades, but there was one glade that was barren of grass; it was the one they would use from the look of it. There were burn marks on the trees that surrounded it as much as there were a few burnt in half, but not all.

Narene stepped into the dirt circle and sat on the centre, then sat crossed-legged. Hailey sat opposite of her in the same way as they both sat up straight and began to focus. Slow deep breaths escaped their nostrils as the silence around them allowed none to intrude their thoughts – it must be vigilant and empty at the same time.

"Focus on your senses," Narene spoke softly as she inhaled the elements around her, "Feel the ire that rides the wind," she exhaled, "The ferocity across the branches," then inhaled, "The squall through the stream," exhaled softly as fire stirred in a circle between them, "The envy of the skies."

Taking a deep breath, Hailey tried to focus on the elements around her and tried feel them course through her veins like her own blood – a technique not a lot of people can do. She took a whiff of the trees, at their pine scent, then exhaled their essence into the gap between them; the fire between them ruptured brighter as its flames flickered warmth – the emotion of the trees.

"Yes, keep it up, freshie," Narene spoke as she opened her eyes to observe the fire between them, it was but a tiny dot from the start, but has grown into a small seed, "Keep going."

She should be quiet, doesn't she know that?

A smiled crossed Hailey's lips as she tried to feel the calm waves against her skin not too long ago and took a deep breath, then exhaled its essence calmly; the fire grew once again and its flames now calm, collected – no longer livid. The voice of the water calmed it as it took shape into a rounder figure, but the flames no longer escaped the circle it formed.