Whispers Under the Moonlight

Loud chattering, silent brewing; the shop was full of customers left and right. Coffee invaded the air as chatter from one table to another were tossed as much as the air-condition blasted cold air against their skin; classical music played in the background that somehow toned down the chatter, dimming the invasive noise to nearly inaudible.

A bell rang and the door open, Oriana walked into the shop and peered around, looking for her dear friend. Wood screeched against the floor and made her turn her gaze, finally finding Chase at the end of the room with a smile ready on his lips. Approaching him with a smile, Oriana walked into a warm hug as Chase pulled her closer before both of them took their seats.

"Geez, look at you!" Oriana exclaimed as she examined him, "You really meant it when you said you worked out a lot."

Chase chuckled, "Well, I needed a healthy lifestyle," then smiled just as a waitress approached to take their order, "Do you still drink coffee or have you become one of those people who take tea now?"

"As if," Oriana scoffed playfully and rolled her eyes, then turned to the waitress, "I'll take a mocha latte and one slice of apple pie," she spoke as she turned to Chase, "What about you? Coffee isn't good for you now, is it?"

Chase just smiled, "No, I can still have coffee," then turned to the waitress, "But I'll have a double espresso and a bagel," he spoke and the waitress, which made him face Oriana, "So, I guess they will be there again, huh?"

"Yeah," Oriana exhaled as she kept her eyes at the table as though reminiscing, "They've been doing it for five years," she explained as Chase noted the tone of her voice, "But, this year I'm not going to."

Chase raised a brow, "Why not? You always go though."

"Yeah, but I already moved on," Oriana explained as she raised her gaze to meet his, "The fight is over and everything is back to normal," she spoke as she rested her elbow on the table as much as she leant her cheek on her knuckles before she looked away again, "But all of us never expected for that to happen."

Chase nodded and sighed, "Yeah, we didn't."

"The only thing we can do now is let her rest in peace," Oriana thought as silence came between them for a moment just as their orders arrived, "Have you heard from Ford or Cecilia, lately? I heard they became a thing not too long ago."

Chase laughed briefly, "So, I've heard," then took a short sip of his espresso, "I honestly never saw that coming," he chuckled, "I mean, Ford is one thing, but Cecilia? I heard she's a sadist and I could only imagine what she's doing to our poor head of security."

"I'm not too worried about him, honestly," Oriana giggled as she took a sip of her latte, "If he can take down a werewolf and live to tell the tale, then he can survive one day being Cecilia's boyfriend."

Chase nodded whilst chuckling, "I guess so."

Taking her fork, Oriana began eating as Chase resumed sipping on his drink; his eyes remained on her as though wondering if it was truly alright for her to miss going this day. For five years, he has always accompanied Oriana to the field and convened with the others to remember everything that happened this day five years ago; the battle had been won victoriously, but somehow, all of them felt as though they have lost.

When the pillar of light dissolved, all of them convened at the gym and cried their victories; all of them were glad that the horror of night was finally done, allowing them to resume their lives and no longer hide from the monsters that covered the night. As their celebration peaked, silence suddenly engulfed them as a path cleared from the farthest row in the back; all eyes were faced towards it, as they saw Hailey walk with Katherine in her arms.