Chapter Nine - I'm Sorry, Dean

Castiel had grown up being told all about destiny, the angels righteous path, how they follow rules and they don't betray heaven, they're obedient and strong, clever and helpful. Lucifer was the first to break the rule and betray heaven, he fell because he couldn't bow to humanity, which is unreasonable to everybody else.

Castiel was a fledgling at the time and didn't understand everything that was going on.

From day one Castiel was told he had a great destiny and he knew whatever it was, he would make sure to make the angels proud of him, he could not disappoint his brothers or father.

It had been over a millennium since Castiel was born and he was just a soldier like every other angel, until he faced his destiny.

Saving the righteous man didn't seem easy, yet he tried. Going to hell had been rough, but he managed, and pulling the broken soul from hell after putting it back together piece by piece, it was only fitting that they would become soul mates, yet the world full of colour still surprised Castiel when he came to earth, he wanted nothing more than to tell Dean immediately, but of course, rules were rules and Dean had duties to fulfil.

By the time Dean asked him if angels had soulmates and if it worked the same as it did for humans, he'd long since pushed the idea of telling him away.

Then he betrayed him, and that is something Castiel will always regret, for however long he lives, and when he came back, for him it had been different, he still had the colours, unlike Dean who had lost them, he knew that there was a chance Dean would never regain them, but he did and yet again Castiel was overwhelmed. Betrayal, death and hatred was not enough to push Dean away from him.

He had planned to him how he felt, he really did, but by this point Dean believed that the feelings were not shared by Castiel and that broke his heart, if it had not been for the leviathans, he would have said, or that's what he liked to tell himself.

-

An angels whole ideal and perspective can be changed by somebody skilful enough, torture was not easy, but as some may know, Naomi was a professional at it, when she had Castiel in her office, there was only two things in mind, making it possible for him to do as he was told by her, and to make him forget he was ever Dean Winchester's soulmate.

Admitting to Dean he no longer saw colour, broke two hearts, but he would not admit that, neither did Dean, so it seemed fair to him.

-

Touching the angel tablet not only broke Naomi's hold over him, but it bought back colour, to every inch of the world, the only problem now was he had betrayed Dean once again, almost killed him in that place.

'Cas... This isn't you. This isn't you. Cas. Cas. I know you're in there. I know you can hear me. Cas...  It's me.  We're family. We need you. I need you.'

Dean would never admit it, but the 'I love you' was on the tip of his tongue.

---

I actually really like this chapter. Anyway, now you know why Cas doesn't see colours!!!

So who's next?

Meg x Abbadon

Kevin x Samadriel (Past Julie)

Michael x Lucifer

Balthazar x Gadreel

(PS. Sabriel in two chapters, I think.)