Down The Road

THE NEXT AFTERNOON

"We are on our way, to a better place," Steven sang, while strumming his ukelele and connie clapping. "Somewhere where we can be ourselves" Connie sang after steven. "And we won't stop until we've found paradise..."They both sang, ending the song and Steven rolling the s. The both giggled. "Ahh, this is great! Out on the open road, fresh air, grass as far as the eye could see, why didnt we do this sooner?" Connie said happily. Steven shrugged. "I dunno. We have been walking for like, 12 hours without sleep. and i'm not even tired!" He said. Connie nodded. "This is so exciting!" "Yea. Were nearing the Keystone border." Steven said and pointed at a sign. "A Motel should be right around the corner. wanna stop there?" Steven asked. "Nah, its too close. I wanna keep going until i get tired." She said kicking up some dirt on the road. Steven nodded and turned his head back, to look down the path they just came from. "Do you think they've noticed yet...?" Steven said, looking back at Connie. "Im sure my parents have. I dont think the gems did yet." She said. Steven paused for a second before nodding. "Yea... probably, im sure they will notice by tonight... i left a little note..." Steven said. "Oh? What did it say?" Connie asked. Steven giggled. "I made it seem like Peridot kidnapped us." He said. "Oh wow..." Connie said surprised. "So, that way they will be trying to target her and get her cause they will think you're a hostage?" She asked, surprised by Steven's cleverness. "No, i just made it so it didn't seem like i ran away, but you can say it that way." and they continued walking down the road, the dust cloud slowly fading behind them.