Chapter 14: Mysteries

Post your reactions. I need to know what you guys are thinking :P! Dedicated to a supportive reader, Maria :).

Salma sat by the rock in the dark, crying softly. Feeling cold, she furiously wiped at her tears. She hated crying. She hated being weak when she was angry and battling another person's ego with her own.

It was hard to figure out what hurt her more: Zayn's outburst, or her disappointment and frustration at her inability to control her growing frustrations towards him. Although Salma knew it was wrong of her to count the little acts of kindness she did for Zayn, it still hurt to have him be so insensitive.

She had done everything to make sure he was as comfortable as one could be when lost in a forest. She had almost knocked herself unconscious to save his injured butt. She let him have the most sheltered part of the shack, shared all of her food with him, took care of his leg and made sure he was warm. She even became the wheel to his damn mobile toilet! How could this not be enough for him to respect her choices and her privacy and be a little considerate?

How dare he?! Salma thought angrily. That ingrate!

She was immersed in her miserable thoughts when she felt a hand on her shoulder, making her jump in alarm.

"It's alright!" Zayn reassured hastily. "It's only me."

With her heart still racing, Salma stared at his dark silhouette. He was bent over her shoulder with a flashlight in his hand, which, much to Salma's irritation, he had borrowed without her permission. Salma noticed him having placed his hand over the light to avoid blinding her, making the blood in his fingers to glow red under his skin.

It took her a little while to realize he was still holding on to her shoulder. Scowling, she shrugged his hand away and turned her back on him.

"What are you doing here?" she asked crossly, skeptical of his motives for sneaking up on her in the dark like that. She was certain he didn't care.

Zayn sighed at her angry tone.

"Come inside."

"No."

"Come on."

"Leave me alone!"

***

Zayn pursed his lips, feeling impatient. She was just as stubborn and impossible as ever. Trying not to lose his cool with her again, Zayn threw a glance at the trees. The forest was dark and silent as usual, but he was still freaked out.

Earlier, after Salma had stormed out of the veranda, Zayn was frozen to the spot, feeling like a pile of dirt for what he'd done. He was wondering where Salma had run off to when a brilliant flash of light streamed through the trees, catching Zayn's attention. At first he thought it was his dejected rescuer finding her way through the trees but then he realized the flash of light was white and glaring, unlike the small yellowish light of Salma's torch.

Zayn was still doubtful, but his suspicions were confirmed when he noticed Salma's flashlight lying next to her bench. As another bright flash swept through the darkness, Zayn was convinced there were people roaming around in the forest beside him and Salma. Quickly, he reached for his stick to go and find her before she could run into trouble. Although people in the forest could mean help, he had a feeling it was otherwise.

Having seen Salma take a seat just next to the rock she usually sat on, Zayn had managed, with much difficulty and pain, to limp his way to her.

Impatient and dreading being found by people that could be far from friendly, Zayn tried to talk Salma into walking to the safety of the shack, away from the trees.