Chapter 42: Unexpected Company

Anyway, vote and comment like crazy. Keep me interested :P. It's hard enough to force myself to write, it's harder when you guys show no interest lol.

Salma's P.O.V.

"Okay." Salma let out a slow breath. "Let's do it."

Her fingers hovered over James's number as she hesitated yet again. Ever since Anne's talk with her, Salma knew she had to make amends but she just could not bring herself to call James. She tossed her phone on the bed again and slumped on the pillows. After his last outburst, James has been silent too. Salma hated to admit it, but she was worried she had pushed him too far.

Taking in deep breath, she reached for the phone once more and started reading his texts.

*James: I miss u :(

Not able to give up or call him,  Salma decided to text him instead.

*Me: I miss you too. . .

Her heart started racing, watching with bated breath as the word 'sent' appeared on the screen. Salma sat frozen to the spot for a few seconds.

"Did I really just do that?" she whispered to herself.

Noticing her tensed posture, she let out a laugh and relaxed. Who knew sending a message would be this hard?

Feeling a whole lot lighter Salma got up and changed, choosing a grey abaya and a black lace scarf. Asim had asked her to be ready by the time he offers his prayers. Salma knew he did not like it, but since the doctor forbade her to drive, Asim had to do the honors of taking her shopping. 

Five minutes later, she was sitting on the couch, all set and ready. Her eyes involuntarily strayed to her phone lying silently beside her. She had no idea what to expect of James now. Would he ignore her like she ignored him, or would he reply? Even if he did reply, was he going to be harsh about it? 

Asim returned from the Masjid, putting an end to her misery. Without sparing his surroundings a glance, he headed straight for the stairs and yelled loudly.

"Salma!"

Really? Salma raised a skeptic brow.

"I'm right behind you, Dumbo," she replied flatly.

Asim turned around, looking surprised.

"Oh."

"Living up to your true nature." Salma smiled at him as she got up. "Now that's my Dumbo."

"Shut up." He chuckled and lead the way outside. "I thought you'd still be upstairs, late as always."

"Still making wrong assumptions? Dumb as always."

The siblings bickered back and forth on their way to shopping center. It was oddly comforting to throw meaningless insults at each other. Both of them were being brutal with their attacks, but the glimmer in her brother's eyes told Salma he must have missed the banter just as much as she did.

"Just because you've got a bigger head doesn't mean it's all filled with brains." She snickered. "You're just a pea brain with a huge skull."

Asim stopped at a red light and faked a gasp.

"Evil!" he exclaimed, "As evil as would be expected of a being with no brains at all!"

Salma laughed in reply and punched him on the shoulder lightly. Her phone buzzed with a text from James making her heart sink to her stomach. She could not quite explain if she was more excited or anxious to see that he had replied.