Chapter 34: The Game's On Now

Comment as you read ^^ . And remember to vote :). Enjoy the chapter (unedited, it is :P)

Zayn's P.O.V.

"Sir, I . . ." The nurse gulped.

She was white as a sheet and looked close to tears. Asim stepped inside. By sheer luck, he was still unaware of Zayn's presence inside the room. Zayn was fortunately positioned such that the door stood as a shield between them when Asim opened it. With the disturbing reality he dreaded standing dangerously close behind his back, Asim had his suspicious eyes firmly fixed on the two girls in front of him.

"Well?" Asim asked, folding his arms over chest.

"Sir, I - I tried to --"

Zayn held his breath as the nurse stuttered. She looked past Asim at Zayn. Shaking his head infinitesimally, Zayn warned her against revealing his presence.

"Tried to what?" Asim questioned the nurse again.

Claire was silent. Zayn knew the wheels in her head were turning, trying to figure a way out of this mess.

"I --"

"She tried to stop me!" Claire spoke up, her voice sharp and accusing.

Everyone turned their attention to her. Zayn eyed the small space between him and Asim. If only he would take a step forward, Zayn could slip behind his back and save himself the unnecessary confrontation.

"Seriously," Claire continued. "I think she's up to something!"

"Ma'am?" The nurse's eyes popped out. She looked absolutely frightened of being scapegoated. "No - sir, I--"

"What? You what?" Claire snapped at the nurse. "Do you deny standing out there the whole time he was gone?"

"No, I don't but --"

"So you are saying that you didn't stop me from entering the room?"

"I did, but I --"

"I'm telling you Asim, this lady here is up to something!" Claire turned her attention back to a bewildered looking Asim. "I was only coming in to see Salma and she won't let me. I don't know what she's up to but she's been up to something. She --"

"No," Asim spoke up, cutting her short. "No, she's not."

Claire paled. Zayn swallowed uncomfortably.

"I mean, she was here on my request," Asim continued calmly. "I instructed her not to let anyone enter in my absence. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

"Oh." Claire blinked. "I - well, I'm sorry." Claire patted and smiled at the nurse, who gave her a forced smile. The nurse foolishly looked past Asim's shoulder at Zayn and he bit back a wince, dreading Asim to follow her gaze. If only he would take a step forward.

"Am I excused, Sir?" The nurse asked.

While Asim turned his attention towards her, Claire dared a look at Zayn. He silently tried to communicate, asking her to make Asim move away from him. Averting her eyes, Claire gave a small nod and started stepping towards the chairs.

"Do you - Do you mind if I . . ?" Claire asked Asim, pointing towards Salma.

"Um, I guess," Asim shrugged. "Nurse, could you please stay with --"

A sudden commotion cut him off. Next thing Zayn knew, Claire was on the floor and the nurse crouched next to her. Asim was standing by awkwardly, wanting to help but held back by the same rules from approaching Claire that kept Bee from approaching him.